Is washing the dishes an appropriate chore for an eight year old?

writer811

My stepmom makes my eight year old brother wash dishes every night. Does this seem appropriate to you? I wouldn't allow my own kids to wash dishes at that age, I'd be certain they'd break something. I'd like them to develop more control over their motor skills first and be strong enough to lift heavy glass dishes. When my brother breaks a dish, he gets punished. I don't agree with that at all and I think it should be expected because he is so young.

Dan

I don't have a problem with him washing them but I doubt they're very clean and I don't think punishing him is appropriate. Have you tried talking to your dad?

joeldgreat

I think the punishment is too harsh for an eight year old kid. Is the punishment more harsh if he brakes some dishes?

I know, I had taught my kids of washing their own dishes at the age of 5 or six years old, but never let them do it every single day of the week.

Lorenzo

We also trained the kids to wash the dishes starting at age seven, but they're never left alone. There is always an older child or an adult with them. They can only do the dishes on their own when they reach 13. We believe that's old enough for them not to break anything.

Sinbian

A chore is a chore, as long as it is physically appropriate for the kid. I wouldn't worry about that. But Dan has a good point, those dishes won't be very clean. :)

BigPapa

I believe that washing dishes is an appropriate chore for an 8 year old, but I wouldn't leave them alone either. I know I washed dishes when I was that young and I would have no problem having my daughter do them at this age.

writer811

He's not washing dishes every night as a punishment, it's his chore. He's only punished when the dishes aren't clean enough or if he breaks any. He is not supervised.

Babar

No dishwasher?! I think it depends on the individual child's strength/responsibility...obviously a lot of kids are going to do a half-job of scrubbing the dishes, which would basically defeat the point of having them wash them.

FrankSinatra

A little hard work never killed anyone. That is right about the proper age to start doing some chores and earning your keep.

BigDaddy

My son has been doing dishes since he was old enough to stand on a chair and reach the sink. Now he does do everything even breakables and he is 9. I dont see an issue with at all. It is a good life skill to have. I think he is also old enough to know how to work a washer and dryer as well.

R. Paradon

It seems a bit young to me. I think he would be ok in the drying department but I am sure that an eight year old is not too reliable as far as cleaning dishes. And getting punished for breaking a dish....that is sad.

ghanashyam

I have never asked my son to wash the dishes and they will disobey me if I ask them. But I got them somehow to keep the house tidy and keep the vehicles clean and neat. Punishing the children with revenge is certainly a bad thing.

meowcow

I think it is okay, just don't punish him when he breaks something. Children are literally limitless, and if we teach them that there are things that they cannot do or are not ready to do, then we are stealing potential from them based on our own fears. I think let him go on washing dishes as it will teach him some discipline and will build character, just do not make him fear his own mistakes because he will take those limits seriously and will affect his personal growth. Just my opinion, hope this helps!

youngone

I think the punishment is too harsh for an eight year old kid. Is the punishment more harsh if he brakes some dishes?

I know, I had taught my kids of washing their own dishes at the age of 5 or six years old, but never let them do it every single day of the week.
It isn't a punishment, it's what he does every day.

I think an 8 year old should be able to wash the dishes. I wouldn't let my son wash glass and knives, but I wouldn't have a problem with him washing his plate.

Hank

I wouldn't have a problem with him rinsing dishes but I don't think an eight year old would have the motor skills to effectively clean the dishes. I used to help my mother by rinsing dishes and helping her to dry. She wouldn't let me do the knives though.