Keeping the Kids in Bed

Victor

I sit next to my 3 year old as she falls asleep at night. Some nights, though, she is hyper even though it's late and doesn't want to lie down, so it's hard to keep her in bed. Many times I end up lying next to her and holding her tightly. She hates it and cries but eventually calms down and then I can sit next to her again. I'm not sure I'm handling it the right way. Do you have any suggestions?

Timothy

I think every parent has to find a bedtime routine that works for their family; I'm not sure if there is a "right" or "wrong" way to handle it. Our routine is bath, dinner, bedtime story, bedtime. After the bedtime story is over, we cut the lights out and shut the bedroom door. Sometimes he goes to sleep right away and sometimes he doesn't.

Victor

What do you do if he opens the bedroom door? Do you just take him back silently until he finally stays in the room?

We tend to stay with our daughter because she has a high need for parental attention and we're willing to indulge it to a certain degree as she naturally gains more independence.

Sinbian

My mother used to sit next to me all the time. I'm not sure how much should you indulge but certainly you want your children to gain a certain peace before going to sleep.