kid little jobs

Andersson

Does anyone else give their kids jobs to do around the house rather than the normal chores? I know we want them to clean their room and pick up after themselves, but I am talking about real little people jobs that help them to build a little character (and backbone).

Timothy

My son helps us with cooking whenever we're in the kitchen, and he also helps us get all the trash up (we have small 1 gallon trash cans everywhere except the kitchen) the night before trash day. Other than that, right now he is just responsible for keeping his room and the living room picked up. (Those are his 2 play areas.)

BigPapa

I think it is important to teach them responsibility. My daughter empties the dishwasher and puts away what she can reach safely. She also helps load the dishwasher with dirty dishes. She also helps to carry in the groceries on grocery day and put them away. She helps with putting the laundry away too.

Chrisitan

BigPapa-My seven year old daughter does dishwasher duty too. She's a good helper in the kitchen and loves to help us cook by doing what she is allowed to do. We haven't allowed her to do knife jobs yet, but she's great with a vegetable peeler. :D

Andersson

I still see some parents who forget how important this is. Kids learn structure from their parents and those they are always around. The more lazy parents become the worse it is going to be when these kids become adults.

polamalu43

What kind of jobs (besides chores)? My kids have always had chores and not just clean their rooms. They also help with yard work and doing dishes. I do let them switch up their jobs often.

Victor

My daughters (even the 18 month old) help me unload the dishwasher because they think it's fun. My oldest daughter puts her bowl in the kitchen when she's done eating, puts her dirty clothes in the hamper, and feeds the cat. Getting her to pick up toys is like pulling teeth, though. At least the younger one is better about that.

Timothy

I think it's important to give your kids responsibilities around the house and yard because not only does it teach them responsibility and give them structure, it also teaches them how to do chores that they will have to do as adults, when they are on their own.

Victor - Sometimes we struggle with getting our son to pick his toys up too. He loves to play with them and strew them out all over the living room floor but sometimes he's not so quick to put them back in the toy box when he's done! =/

John

Pets are always the responsibility of whoever wanted them in the first place. Our children take out the trash, keep their rooms clean, and even learn to do their own laundry before they head off to summer camp. They also have to keep the inside of the cars clean. Every so often, when the kids were little, the wife would set a timer for 15 minutes. Everyone in the house would rush through, picking up clutter and putting it away.

Andersson

I know many parents who stick with a little schedule that is listed in an easy to see area for the kids, did anyone here do this? We never tried it at first until a friend mentioned it and after that plus the birth of our second everything just clicked.