Kids and cell phones

TakeYourTime

How young is too young for a kid to have his own cell phone? We got a great plan that allowed us to give our children cell phones for Christmas, but we wonder how often we will let them carry them around. We want them for safety, but we don't want to give them free reign. We are now making cell phone rules.

Howard

I don't have a cell phone at all. I honestly cannot imagine why a kid would "need" a cell phone or how a child could be in such an unsafe situation as to need one.

Kost

I went to the mall earlier today, silly I know but I had to exchange a few gifts for the correct sizes. I counted at least seven kids all who looked to be under the age of 10 with a cell phone in their hand.

TwinPeaks

I went to the mall earlier today, silly I know but I had to exchange a few gifts for the correct sizes. I counted at least seven kids all who looked to be under the age of 10 with a cell phone in their hand.
That is just crazy. I don't think there is a reason that could justify giving a cell phone to a ten year old, let alone any younger child. High school is the time for this, if at all.

Ifamily

I don't think a child under the age of ten would need a cellphone, nor that he would be responsible enough for having it. None of my kids would get a cellphone before they reach 15 or so.

TJoel

I wouldn't give the kids cellphones till they reach teenage years. Younger kids don't need cellphones that much yet. I believe it is more fun and safer for them to go to school and play and live without cellphones.

Timothy

How young is too young for a kid to have his own cell phone?
I don't think a kid needs a cell phone before they're old enough to drive and be somewhere by themselves. I mean, honestly, where would a kid younger than 16 ever be that they would need a phone and not have it? Schools have phones, stores have phones, friends have phones, family members have phones, etc., etc., etc.

crowl

Can the kid pay for the cell phone? I am all for them having one if they can pay for it, if they can not then they really do not need one. I guess I am old school that way but I believe certain things are not privileges not necessities.

Paul1960

I agree with Timothy and crowl on this one. When our kids started to want cell phones, we told both of them that they could have their own cell phone when they could pay for the bill themselves. Where we live, labor laws prevent anyone under 16 from getting a job, so neither of our kids had one before then. Like Timothy said, before they have that independence, it's really unnecessary.

Kost

I grew up with the rules of be home before dark, we never needed a watch let alone a phone to tell us what time it was or when to be home. A teen I can understand maybe but really, I am not paying for a bill that will get run up.