Kids and choice of music

Peyton

In our home we listen to mostly country music. Occasionally we listen to some rock. I just found out my step son is into rap music and I don't know what we're going to do about this when he moves in with us. I don't necessarily want to inhibit his choices, but he is a very troubled child and I'm not sure rap is a good genre of music for a kid with such problems. Plus, I don't know if we'll be able to stand it. What should we do about this?

Thompson

I don't think I would start a battle about music as soon as he moves in. Let him move in, get settled and take it from there. An Ipod might be a nice gift for him if you don't want to hear it though.

Greendad

Music is a matter of taste. I think he doesn't want to listen to country as much as you don't like rap. I am with Thomson on this. Just gift him an Ipod so that you don't have to listen to the music he plays.

CHenne

Pick your battles - I would say music is not one of them. I listen to some rap music. I don't think it's all bad (Eminem is my favorite). I think every one should be able to listen to what they want to.

WagnerB

I would say leave him alone, or it would be an endless battle. I like classical music myself but I understand that not everybody enjoys Ave Maria as much as I do.

Verny

You have to set rules inside your house that everyone should follow, even yourself. But make sure that their freedom of choice is not hindered. I like the suggestion of Thompson in giving him an iPod so that he can still listen to his music but you won't have to.