Kids suggesting the divorce ?

Alistair

My brother told me about one of his Russian colleagues, who decided to divorce after his 10-year-old daughter suggested to him and his wife. They used to not get along at all, and they argued on a daily basis. Apparently, this put a lot of stress on their daughter. She seemed to be more mature than they had expected, and told them one day, "mommy, daddy, if you don't love each other anymore, maybe it's better to separate". Needless to say they were extremely surprised, but gave the idea some thought and decided it was the best they could do with their lives. They currently share custody on the girl.

Have you ever heard of situations like this before ? :confused:

stayathomepaul

Nope, I can't say that I had. I would be floored if my child said something like that. Of course if it is bad enough that the kid suggests it, then it is something to think about. It could be a relief that their daughter suggested it, they don't have to worry about her reaction.

CHenne

Wow, I don't think it's the children's choice if the parents get a divorce or not. That is pretty ballsy if you ask me - I think you should get a divorce. I would never have said that to my parents.

crowl

I never have myself but a few others have told me similar stories. I was watching a show the other night and their kid did the same thing. I forget what I was watching but it was a fairly popular show from what I remember.

TJoel

Wow! I don't remember it ever happening to people I personally know. But I can understand why the daughter has suggested the option to their parents. I am so sorry for her.

Mel

I have not heard of such situations before, but I don't under-estimate how observant (and honest) kids can be. I think maybe that's the real lesson.