Laundry, I need help.

stayathomepaul

I hate having to do laundry. It is almost enough to make me want to go back to work. Does anyone have a system for laundry that works?

Independent

My wife makes us all bring our dirty laundry down to the laundry area. She has bins that are all labeled and we have to sort our laundry in to the bins. Then there are outgoing baskets with our name on them, and we are in charge of coming to the laundry area to get our laundry and put it away.

Davidson

Back in my bachelor days I used to have to go to the laundromat and I never thought it was that big of a deal. As long as you don't have to wash it by hand I don't understand what's the problem.

wilson

Sorting must be nice, we stopped doing that years ago. I have yet to find any of my white shirts funky colors from the bleed off's of other items. I have no idea what magic goes on in the laundry room but I stay clear of it expect for drop off's and pick up's.

Clive

I think Independent's wife has the right idea. Make everyone sort their own laundry and put their clothes away. Pick one day a week to get it all done and then it's up to them to come get it and put it away.

bighelp

There is no way that we could burn an entire day in our family doing laundry and that is no matter who is doing it. For years I never even let my lady do my clothes for fear of her doing them wrong (its happened before).

Phillie

We do laundry every night. It's easy - toss a load of clothes in the washer and then into the dryer. As soon as the buzzer goes off we race to see who can get it out first. It's a game (between my wife, son and me). We hardly ever do laundry on the weekend because we keep up with it all week.

Zimmer

We do about two or three loads a week, no use in running the washing machine with two shirts in it when it's much more cost effective to just wait till the dirty laundry gets piled up.

jimscharger

In our house, each bedroom has its own hamper, and the bathroom has it's own hamper. I do wash by the hamper. One day is the master bedroom hamper. Sort, wash, dry, fold, bring upstairs. The next day is the kids room hamper...same process. The third day is all the towels from the bathroom....same process as before. The last day is sheets from all the beds. Each bedroom has two loads...light and dark. It takes about 4 hours to get a days laundry done from start to finish, but I can work on other stuff in the meanwhile. I like independents system, though....but my "laundry room" is a small hallway area, so I'm not sure that would work for us.

BoyOBoy

I do all the laundry in this house. I put a load in as soon as I get up in the morning. I also make sure all laundry is put away before I go to bed at night. Once a week, when I'm home all day, I try to catch up all extra dirty clothes. It works for me. For anyone other than myself, I put the clothes in a cardboard box and put it on the bed where they sleep when they are here.

Milt

We have a rack in each closet that has three bags. One bag is for dark, another bag is for lights and the third bag is for towels and bedding. When each bag is full enough to justify doing a load, we do it.

Ronald

In our house, each bedroom has its own hamper, and the bathroom has it's own hamper. I do wash by the hamper. One day is the master bedroom hamper. Sort, wash, dry, fold, bring upstairs. The next day is the kids room hamper...same process. The third day is all the towels from the bathroom....same process as before. The last day is sheets from all the beds. Each bedroom has two loads...light and dark. It takes about 4 hours to get a days laundry done from start to finish, but I can work on other stuff in the meanwhile. I like independents system, though....but my "laundry room" is a small hallway area, so I'm not sure that would work for us.
This is a really good system. We've been having issues in our household with laundry, between it piling up too quickly in our one single hamper and no one wanting to take responsibility for folding what's clean. But I think the wife and I might could come to sort of an agreement with an arrangement like this.