Letting Kids Taste Beer

Leon

Do you think it is a good idea to let your kids taste beer even when they are still very young? My father did this when I was little but it didn't deter me from drinking when I've grown already.

Adam

My dad also let me have a sip here and there, and I don't think it harmed me at all. There is a big difference between taking a taste/sip, and drinking half of it! I have no problems with my daughter taking a taste of beer, maybe she'll remember the taste and never want to try it again.

William

My father let me taste beer too when I was still very little. I found the taste good so it was a wrong move by my father. I will just educate my child that it is bad for the health when it is taken too much.

Last edited:

AbsDad

I have no problems with it either, something we feel the same about. Making alcohol a taboo is wrong, and leads to kids doing stupid things like getting drunk at age ten when you aren't home. Better that they feel they can ask you instead, and you know what they are doing.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I had a taste of beer around 6 or so. Hated it then. But that was a different time, and seems it is a no-no today. But I do not think alcohol should be made out to be taboo, as it would make some children want to do it more.

SamMo

When my daughter was around 13-14 she wanted to know what being drunk was like so we allowed her to drink a few bottles of beer and she fell asleep. We figured that if she didn't do it at home she would find a way of doing it outside. She woke up with a headache and declared that it wasn't a pleasant experience. Now at almost 30, she rarely drinks at all!

CHenne

Nope, I would not let my kids taste beer at the age of 5 or 6. 10 - possibly. I mean I would hope that they would hate the taste of it and stay away from it.

My daughter always wrinkles her nose when she smells it! :)

Aiden

I was allowed to taste things here and there when I was way too young and while I don't think it affected me at all, I still don't agree with it. I just don't think kids should try something like that, because they may think it's cool and want to get into drinking sooner. I could be wrong though, because it didn't happen to me (I rarely drink), but it's still one of those gray areas that I would try to avoid.

Mel

Call me old fashioned, but I think that beer is an adult drink, and that kids need to be taught from an early age that adult drinks are for adults, not kids.

Restless

My uncle gave me a beer when I was twelve. After taking 5 or 6 sips I was totally drunk. Although it was funny (except for my mom) I don't think it ruined my life later in any way. :)