Mama and Her Mouth

dapperdon

What do you do when you got an ex who won’t stop bad mouthing you to the kids? I know she talks bad about me because she has no problem talking bad to me. I try to respect her in front of the kids but this is getting to be a little much. I can’t pinpoint it but I can see that the kids are starting to treat me differently as well. How do I put an end to this? :mad:

firstdad

Maybe you should spend more time with the kids and show they that side of you that contradicts what the ex is saying about you. They will believe what they see better than what they hear.

Phillie

Ouch! This is something that I would never do and neither would my wife (about our son's father). I would ask her to stop, she is really doing a disservice to you and your kids. Talk to your kids too, don't play her games though (don't badmouth their mom).

Graham

I'd explain to my kids that in life they'll meet a lot of stupid people who run their mouth so it doesn't get cold and they should always try to separate the garbage that comes out of someones mouth and the things that are worth listening too. Than I'd go with firstdads advice, but be weary since kids are very impressionable at a young age.

Boston

Best advice would be to avoid an argument (especially in front of the kids). A negative reaction could be detrimental to your case in court as well as reenforce any smack talk she said about you to the kids.

The most important thing is to be an active and good father to your kids. Be there for them whenever they need you and tell them constantly that you still love them and nothing can change that.

Speak to your attorney about any legal action you could take against her. In many states, a parent can be held in contempt for smack talking about the other parent to or in ear shot of their children.

It is the responsibility of both parents to encourage a positive relationship between their children and the other parent. In the end, it is in the best interest of your children. Good luck!

Bear

Just be a good dad to your kids that's all you can really do. If you say bad things about her, or things that can be perceived as bad by the kids it will just make it worse.