Miley Cyrus engaged

Enrique

My daughters both adore Miley Cyrus. Initially, I supported this because the girl seemed like a good role model. However, when she came out with the news recently that she's engaged to her boyfriend - and at 19 - I'm not sure if I approve. I mean, it may be okay for some people, but for me 19 is still too young. I don't want my kids emulating something like that. For me, if you want to be engaged to someone, you have to be emotionally, physically, spiritually and financially ready.

Well, I guess, I could only pray that my kids are sensible enough to do the appropriate things.

Michael

This is hard for me because Miley Cyrus was one of my nine-year-old girl's huge role models. We steered our girl away from Cyrus as much as we could when she started doing so many things that were way too much for our daughter to be exposed to. These celebrities really need to realize the power they have to affect in both positive and negative ways.

polamalu43

I don't agree with either of you on this one. If she is happy and wants to get married, so be it. She is already established in her life. There is a big difference between Miley and our kids.

BigPapa

For one, Miley Cyrus hasn't been a good role model since she was 12. Posing naked or nearly so , doing drugs, etc are not things a good role model does. That being said, her getting married at 19 is not my business nor my problem.

Sinbian

One again, I'm going back to preaching about the need for installing a good system of values in your children. Once you do this, you can rest assured that they will always make wise decisions. In other cases you are there to help them, that is, if they want your help.

polamalu43

I don't think she has been a good role model either. I can't really think of a good female role model besides Taylor Swift at the moment. I did not know Miley posed naked anywhere.

Andersson

I understand what you are saying but at the same time if you are agreeing with our system of 18 being an adult, then she has the right to be engaged (or not) to whomever she wishes. Just because you are engaged does not mean you are running off the next day to get married either.

polamalu43

Agreed Andersson!! She is an adult. Who knows if they will even get married. It also could be a long engagement. I think the whole issue here is that Miley is not a good role model. Perhaps we should help our young daughters find better role models.

Last edited:

Regis

I told my stepdaughter that if she's making that much money when she's 19 then she's free to marry. Kind of like 'when pigs fly' but nicer.

Bear

Just because someone was on tv does not really make them a role model and it is up to us as parents to instill values and morals in our children. Just because she was on the Disney channel as a child does not mean that she is going to want to forever be seen that way. She deserves to be able to grow and develop her career and talents just like everyone else. She may only be 19, but I imagine she could buy and sell everyone of us several times over. If she marries at 19 I don't imagine the marriage will last very long because it is still very young. The pressures put on a relationship from the constant scrutiny of the media and judgemental parents would strain any relationship and most celebrity marriages (even for older couples) don't last very long as a result.

Waynefire

Nineteen can be young, but my parents were married five days after they turned 18. So it really depends on the strength of the relationship if they can hold it together one not. I am not going to poo on the engagement like many of you are. I just hope the marriage last and she can grow into a woman like she should be doing, instead of the pop diva everyone thinks of her as.

Geonarlie

19 is extremely young but it honestly doesn't matter to me. My children aren't watching what shes doing with her life they're listening to her music and watching her TV shows. They don't pay attention to what she does in her personal life. At least I hope they don't.

JoshTheBoss

Little girls always have role models. They are usually a few years older and more mature looking then the little girl, which makes her look up to the star and be like the star.

The problem comes when the 11 year old is a fan because she has been since she was 7, and now miley is growing up. When Miley grows up, so do the little girls. Fathers need to sit down with their girls and explain to them that they are still young women while Miley is now an adult.