Mom's Back

youngdad

I was concerned when my son's mom started showing interest in seeing him after giving him up when he was only a few months old. She seems like she's settled down a lot and won't cause me any problems as far as trying to get him back, but I'm still cautious. How can I protect myself and my son if she tries to get custody?

youngdad

Just to update, it seems I didn't have anything to be concerned about. Mom has found some new interests and doesn't come by as much as she was. I think she wants to see our son from time to time, but she's not as stable as I thought.

Clive

How is your son reacting to her being around? Does she have any rights to him at all or are you just being a nice guy by letting her see him? Glad to hear you don't have to worry about her fighting for custody.

Phillie

Well it's good that you won't have to worry about her wanting to take him away from you. Do you have legal custody? If you do then you have no worries.

Salazar

Wow, yea, that's a tough situation. I'm curious why you let her come around if she basically abandoned the kid. I'm also curious why she left in the first place, but that may be too personal of a question.

Len

I'm really sorry for your son in this situation. At least he has you as a stable parent though. If you've already gone to court for custody I don't think you have anything to worry about, especially if she's not stable.

youngdad

I'm curious why you let her come around if she basically abandoned the kid. I'm also curious why she left in the first place, but that may be too personal of a question.
She actually didn't leave. We were not married when she had our son, but we were planning to get married. A few months after our son was born, she decided that she wasn't ready to be tied down, so I got Bobby and she went out having fun. I'm letting her see him now because he will have questions about her sooner or later. I believe it is better for him to get to know her. She doesn't see him much, but that doesn't seem to bother him. He does look forward to seeing her when she does come by.

Jdrake

That sounds like a really tough situation. You are a really brave man to be able to handle that so well. I can't really say what I would do in the same situation.