Need Games!

Bonzay

OK, gaming dad dudes, I would like a good recommendation for a newer computer game that I could play. What do you have to offer? I accept all suggestions.

Thanks,
gaming dad dude :p

crowl

That depends entirely on what type of games you like to play. Are you into MMO, RP, Fantasy, FPS? There are tons of things out there but off the top of my head the first three I can think of are Starwars, Skyrim & The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

JDan

What would you recommend for a dad who has never played the first video game to play? I am so far behind the times it's crazy. It's my age, I guess. Seriously, if I were to start playing a video game, what would you recommend? I'm not into blood, guts or being Quickdraw McGraw.

SoontoBe

What would you recommend for a dad who has never played the first video game to play? I am so far behind the times it's crazy. It's my age, I guess. Seriously, if I were to start playing a video game, what would you recommend? I'm not into blood, guts or being Quickdraw McGraw.
Tetris got my dad started. I think it came out on the GameBoy. He loved it and it was never out of his hands. My mom tried to learn to play, but Dad was always on the GameBoy.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Tetris got my dad started. I think it came out on the GameBoy. He loved it and it was never out of his hands. My mom tried to learn to play, but Dad was always on the GameBoy.
That is too funny. My mom never had an interest in games when I was a kid. Until we got a gameboy and she played tetris. I think she used it just as much as I did.

Lorenzo

Tetris really is fun! :) It's not a new game, though, but it's new on Facebook and it's been getting positive reviews, so far. I am not familiar with new computer games, but you could try "Potty Racers 3.2," "Storm Ops 2: Desert Storm," or "Monster Truck Demolisher." These are our family's all time faves. If you also want mental games, try "The World's Hardest Game." It really is hard but so much worth your time.

encryptedbytes

Dads out there that loved video games back in the day, might enjoy playing them again using and emulator and ROMs. An emulator is a program you install on your computer that acts like another piece of hardware such as a game console, a different computer, or an arcade game.

My favorite emulator is called MAME. It emulates the hardware of classic arcade games. On you find and download the ROMs (file containing the original game code) and load them up in MAME, you can play all the classics such as Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Donkey Kong, Super Mario Brothers, Zaxxon, Defender, and all manner of other retro gaming goodness :) The beautiful thing about emulators is that you're not just playing a re-creation of a classic game, you're playing the actual game!

People even go so far as to build their own arcade style cabinets with real arcade controls and load the insides up with a computer running MAME. Because classic games were pretty simple compared to today's games, it doesn't take a powerhouse of a computer to run them.