Negativity!

RichA

My daughter has been bad lately. I noticed it this past weekend. We were at a football game and she was getting angry and saying negative things when our players were not doing well. She did the same last night when we were watching it on TV. I have told her that it is not okay to talk or act like that. What else can/should I do?

CHenne

Wow! You better keep telling her that it is not okay to act that way. You don't want her to be this way with other things in life. I hope you aren't leading by example and being negative too.

Timeless

Have you tried asking her why she is doing it? Is something bothering her that makes her feel negative about things? Sometimes they are mimicking a friend who acts negative all the time. Ask her to see the positives in things instead of the negatives.

RichA

I am really careful with what I say around them. Of course I get disappointed in some things but I am not really negative about them. I will ask her why she is doing this now. It needs to stop!

Blue44

I would say that you need to get to the bottom of it before it becomes a permanent habit. She should know that negative people are not popular people. I have a sister who is negative about everything and no one wants to be around her, including her children. Try to get an understanding of where she is coming from and help her to see the positive side in the things that she is negative about.

polamalu43

Good answer blue. Get to the bottom of it. You should also be sure that you are careful with the things you say around her. I wonder if something is bothering her at school.

Timothy

In addition to what others have said, I would suggest that you explain to her why it's bad to be negative all the time. Encourage her to find the good in everything instead of the bad and above all else, lead by example. Make sure the other adults you allow her to spend time with are also positive people who can lead by example. Nothing else has the power to undermine what you say more than what you do!