New Car or Older?

Timothy

We need a second vehicle pretty soon but I can't decide if it would be better to buy an older vehicle or a newer one. An older one would cost less up front but would also be worse in terms of gas mileage. With a newer car, it would be the opposite. I only have to drive about 10 miles back and forth to work everyday so gas mileage isn't my biggest concern, but I wonder how much more work/maintenance there would be on the older car.

Thoughts?

Victor

I prefer to buy newer cars because I don't like spending much time or money maintaining cars. If you get a car that's only a few years old, you will able to save quite a bit compared to buying a new vehicle, but it should still be pretty reliable.

Kenny

I would go for the newer model old car. I would not buy anything brand new, especially not for a job that is within such a short distance.

Timothy

Thanks for the input, Victor and Kenny. I'm definitely leaning more towards a newer vehicle in terms of personal preference and all, but that price tag always leaves me with sticker shock! Maybe if we keep shopping, we'll come across a good deal on something that is just two or three years old...