New Single Father

WillyWonka

Well, I finally got through the divorce and my daughter and I are alone. That's right, I got my daughter's custody after a hard won fight. My wife was a drug user and became a drug user after she had our daughter. She started out with sleeping pills because the baby kept her awake but the doctor finally stopped giving them to her. Then she started with buying meth from a friend's son who is a drug dealer and things went down from there. I am left with my 3 year old daughter to raise by myself. My mother and father are helping me and I don't mind the baby going to see her mother's mom and dad-they didn't have anything to do with her problem and they are mortified that she has come down to being a methhead. I will only let her mother see her if they are with her and she cannot take her out of their house so she can still see the baby. I am starting to get back on my feet after all of the upset but it's taken me a while. I still work full time and my mother and father babysit during the day. She will go to preschool next year so I won't have to impose on them forever. Hi other single dads!

Dave

I am happy that you and your daughter are together and out of that situation! I know the problems surrounding drug use in a home with children, as my mother was a user.

WillyWonka

Yeah, it can be rough at times but I love her so much. I try to shield her from hearing things about her mother if I possibly can but sometimes she hears other people say things. I am still hoping her mother can get straightened out someday and be a part of her life.

Heartbeat

Oh wow, that sounds rough. I wish you the best of luck man. It has got to be hard raising a child on your own whether you are a woman or a man. I would have a hard time doing it on my own. I know a lot of people do and I guess you get by as best you can. Good luck!

richard42

Congratulations

Congratulations on getting custody of your daughter. It's nice to see that every once in a great while the court system actually gets it right and makes the right decisions in the best interest of the child and responsible parent !

WillyWonka

Thanks. I don't think they had a hard time deciding. She is so strung out most times, she's not in the present. One court date we had, she showed up so strung out, her attorney asked for a continuance but the judge said "No" and she had to be in court like that. I think the judge finally realized what I had been saying was the truth when she was picking imaginary bugs off of her face.