Night time

Jeff

My son is almost 4 and has been potty trained since he was 18 months old. We just can't get him to stop wetting the bed at night. We have even taken the pull ups away and my wife washes his sheets almost every morning because he wakes up wet. We have been doing this for about 6 months. Any advice on what to do next?

Last edited:

MilwaukeeJoe

From what I understand, this is not completely unusual and happens more often with boy. It's just that their bladder muscles aren't strong enough.

First I would let him use the pull-ups to help it from being more embarrassing than it already is. Be strict in limiting how much he drinks an hour before bed and make him go right before sleep. Start there and see how it goes.

Jeff

We used the pull ups for 2 years now and he doesn't even care when he wakes up wet. We don't give him anything after about 6:30 and he goes to bed anywhere between 8 and 9:30.

syboken

Stress will add to this from what other parents have mentioned on boards and social sites that I still visit when I have the time. When are you giving the last drinks of the evening, right after dinner or much later like right before bedtime?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I was told you should not give the child a drink one hour before bedtime. Some people told me two hours. Make sure they go the bathroom before bed.

Jeff

I give him his last drink with dinner which is about 6:30pm and then he goes to bed between 8 and 9:30 and I make him go to the bathroom a couple times before bed and he is still not waking up dry, even not having nothing to drink 2 and half hours before bed.

syboken

I am amazed at some of the stories I hear lately with parents who have kids that refuse to use the kid potty's. Right now one friend has a girl that flat out tells him "No, peepee goes in the pullup", with this I am guessing at some point you just need to let them be nekey and go from there.

Jaxon

Keep it warm in his room, keep it as quiet and stress free as possible, and keep doing what you're doing with his liquids. Maybe you could look into home remedies?

Unclerob

Certainly make sure he stops drinking hours before bedtime and let him keep the pull-up on. Is he waking up after he goes to tell you that he went? That would be a step.

stayathomepaul

What my wife did with our son is woke up and then woke him up in the middle of the night and took him to use the potty. She did it at the same time every night and with in a month he started to make it through the night.

Sampson

Most of the time it's a physical thing, like MilwaukeeJoe stated. But, if you start to make a huge deal out of this, it can become a psychological thing and then you'll really be deling with a mess.

If it's a huge concern, they do have bedwetting alarms that you can use. It's a sensor that attatches to an absorbant pad. When it senses wet, it goes off.