Non-supportive wifes

Greendad

A friend of mine was laid off and now is staying at home while finding a new job. I am sure he needs support in this difficult situation. It's sad that his wife doesn't seems to be supportive of him.

LeonR

I thank God every day for my wife. She is the one who holds down the biggest job in this family, and has even let me be a stay-at-home dad from time to time. She makes a lot more money than I do, too. Still, she supports me in so much more than financial things.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
We may have the same friend. A buddy of mine is in between jobs, and the wife is ready to leave him over it it seems. It is amazing the difference in her attitude. It almost seems she loved him for the money he had.

Jacob

We may have the same friend. A buddy of mine is in between jobs, and the wife is ready to leave him over it it seems. It is amazing the difference in her attitude. It almost seems she loved him for the money he had.
That is incredibly sad to hear. Although I don't know your friends personally it still makes me sad. My wife knows how to bitch about when I'm between jobs, but I know she would never leave me for it.

Wyss

That is the quickest way to see if a woman really loves you or not. A friend of mine makes a good bit of money working in the private sector, he was dating a girl for the longest time, now they are expecting within a few months and I still have my doubts about her. I think he does too.

Howard

Wives whose husbands are between jobs have good reason to be stressed and to need support as well. It is not an easy situation for anyone who is involved.

Andersson

That is just bad news, and oddly enough I watched a movie tonight called Warrior that touched base on supportive wives. I do not understand why people are not supportive of their spouses, I can understand using best judgment but when its something this crucial it seems trivial to not support your spouse.

Timothy

Regardless of who is working and who is at home, it's always a stressful situation when one income isn't enough. However, I can't blame a wife for feeling resentful if her husband isn't TRYING to improve the situation.

If, on the other hand, he's trying his HARDEST to get a job but can't, it's sad to see a woman with a such a lack of understanding in times as hard as these are.

Pascallist

It actually is a tricky situation, and only the couple knows the situation the best. Like Timothy implied, it is possible that the wife became non-supportive because the husband didn't try hard enough to find another job.

Babar

As men, we're still in a position of expectation when it comes to being the provider, even in these enlightened times. Perhaps there is more to the story than your friend is letting on.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
That is incredibly sad to hear. Although I don't know your friends personally it still makes me sad. My wife knows how to bitch about when I'm between jobs, but I know she would never leave me for it.
Good to hear. A strange turn of events, he is working now, but she has pretty much cut herself out of his family. From what I was told, she does not wish to talk to any of them, removed all his friends and family from her facebook too.

Bobby

My wife makes more money than I do, but has never rubbed it in. When we had our kids, we each went half time so we could support each other and spend time with the boys when they were so young. I'm glad she is the way she is.

Victor

I agree that we don't know the whole story in this case, but it does seem odd, given her behavior after he got a job.

I'm thankful my wife is supportive of my desire to stay home with the kids.