Not paying attention

Pascallist

I wonder what has happened to the youngest. When he is watching television or doing something else, he doesn't listen and pay attention when someone (mom, dad, siblings) calls him. Is it just a phase he has to go through?

Last edited:

William

I did that when I was a kid. I pretend not to hear my mom or my dad calling me because I don't want to be interrupted with the show I'm watching. My parents would then turn off the TV if I didn't listen to them. This worked for me so you can try that to your son.

GoPats

He could be pretending as William suggests or he could just be so engulfed in what he is doing that he really does not recognize what is going on around him. Either way it's not acceptable and you are right to shut off the TV and insist that the child answer you respectfully.

crowl

I would check to make sure if its either an issue where the child is ignoring you (mine does it too) or a hearing issue. Explain to the child what can happen if they do have a hearing issue, it might snap them out of the fibbing part quick.

Strongarm

I don't think not paying attention is just a childrens thing. People at my job do it. I do it and so does my wife at home sometimes. I think when you are really focused, you just tune out everything. I get that way when I'm playing games.

bighelp

Kids tune things out it happens, same applies for some adults I know. I would suggest cutting down the time spent with TV, movies & games. Most times when kids get into the habit its not noticed until its too late.

Whoowap

I think it depends on several factors. Does he ignore you for an extended period of time? I mean, do you call him once/twice or many times before he decides to answer. It may be a wide variety of issues, from hearing problems to a form of autism. My advise is to investigate.

William

I agree to some of the comments given. Try to observe your son if he only does it when watching the TV or he also do that when doing something else. If he only do it when watching the TV then I guess he is just concentrated on what he is watching.

Regis

I think the youngest learns to tune things out at an early stage because they realized when they were very young that most of the yelling/talking wasn't directed at them.

Greendad

I have to admit that I did that all the time when I was a kid. I did hear them calling me, but I pretended not to hear it because I didn't want to stop watching television and do what they were asking for.