Old Mother Hubbard

BigPapa

With the price of groceries lately sometimes I feel like our cupboards look like poor Mother Hubbard's. We have food, don't get me wrong, but not nearly as much as we usually have on hand at any given time.

Victor

I know what you mean. We spend a fortune on food. I was watching a news segment last night about Americans not having enough in savings and the reporter was discussing how wages have stagnated while prices for items like food have skyrocketed. It's depressing.

CHenne

Groceries are expensive that is for sure! My wife is a great shopper. She uses coupons and shops a ton of sales. I think the key is to stock up when things go on sale.

olderthandirt

That is a key to savings, for sure, CHenne. My mother was a big time coupon user and she taught me how to use coupons and stockpile for maximum savings. I almost never pay full price for stuff. The hardest thing for me is keeping the freezer stocked with meat, though. The prices on meats have gone up extremely in my area.

BigPapa

Olderthan, have you considered purchasing a portion of a whole cow or pig? It really can save on the cost of meat when you do it that way and they will butcher it however you want it. I use a lot of coupons too. As a matter of fact, I went yesterday and got a bill of $110 down to $55. I was pretty proud of myself.

CHenne

That is exactly what we did. We bought a half of a cow. I don't have to buy beef. We are thinking of buying half a pig in a few months. The meat is better and much cheaper.

RichA

We have made cuts in other areas - not in the food department. You have to eat and you have to feed your kids. Grocery prices are on the rise - I swear they go up each week. There is always a new price or two when I go with my wife.

Christian

Groceries have definitely become one of our biggest expenditures and even though my kids are young they are ALWAYS hungry. My wife has started making some of the things they like from scratch like cereal bars and that helps some.

Alfy

Isn't it funny how they are always eating. The children usually start complaining by Wednesday that there is no food in the house. My wife says they just don't want to have to make something and they've eaten all the easy to grab stuff. They don't understand what moderation is, they just continually eat.