Outdoor Time

Victor

I've been making an effort to get the kids outdoors more frequently. It does wonders for their behavior and puts me in a better mood as well. I dread the summer though; it gets so hot here that playing outside is very limited.

John

The Vitamin D is so important, and sunshine provides the best Vitamin D there is. Even half an hour in the sun makes a difference, especially if you live in an area that doesn't get lots of sun.

polamalu43

Do you have a pool? You could be outside in the pool and be cool. You could also be outside but be in the shade. We spend most of our days outside when we can.

Victor

We do not have a pool, though I am considering buying one of those little plastic ones for the girls. That will not help me, however. ;) The shade helps some, of course, but when it's in the 90s every day with high humidity, it doesn't help as much as I'd like.

Andersson

Many of the schools in our area are raising money to help the areas for recess covered for the kids as the warmer weather approaches. Could you do something like that in your backyard?

Sinbian

The only thing I really insist with the kids is to play outside. I think that before the computer era was much healthier for us to grow up. I want that for my kids as well.

Timothy

None of us have been getting outside as much as we should, kids included. This winter has been very cold, wet, and overcast. The temps are just now warming up and the ground is finally starting to dry out though, so we are going to make it a point to start getting back outside again. Kids do better with outside time, dogs do better with outside time, and even the wife and I feel better after being outside. My wife is even talking about getting a laptop to do some of her work outside. (Anyone else do that?)

John

We make a point of taking a walk in the afternoon. I figure 20-30 minutes outside is better than nothing, right? It's hard to get started, but after a few weeks it becomes a habit. It's one thing we now look forward to.

Victor

Timothy, I often work outside. I grab the laptop and get some work done in the shade in between tending to the girls.

Andersson, I'd love to set up some tall poles with solar shades, but it is a bit cost prohibitive.

Sinbian

We make a point of taking a walk in the afternoon. I figure 20-30 minutes outside is better than nothing, right? It's hard to get started, but after a few weeks it becomes a habit. It's one thing we now look forward to.
Creating habits like this will pay off in the long run, health-wise, mood-wise and in all other aspects that you can think off. Nice decision.

Victor

I agree with Sinbian. We should start taking a walk too. Additional exercise and outdoor time can only be good, as long as we are careful to avoid sunburns and don't go during the hottest part of our hot days.