Over-reactive parenting linked to negative emotions and problem behavior in toddlers

jason

Administrator
Staff member
BEND, Ore. – Researchers have found that parents of young children who anger easily and over-react are more likely to have toddlers who act out and become upset easily.
The research is an important step in understanding the complex link between genetics and home environment. In the study, researchers from Oregon State University, Oregon Social Learning Center, and other institutions collected data in 10 states from 361 families linked through adoption – and obtained genetic data from birth parents as well as the children.
They followed the children at nine, 18 and 27 months of age, and found that adoptive parents who had a tendency to over-react, for example, were quick to anger when children tested age-appropriate limits or made mistakes. These over-reactive parents had a significant effect on their children, who exhibited "negative emotionality," or acting out and having more temper tantrums than normal for their age.
Genetics also played a role, particularly in the case of children who were at genetic risk of negative emotionality from their birth mothers, but were raised in a low-stress or less-reactive environment.

more Over-reactive parenting linked to negative emotions and problem behavior in toddlers | Science Codex

ryan

I've read several articles involving the whole nature versus nurture debate. My take on it is that you can't do anything about genetics. That makes it even more important to work on what you can control. Children are easily influenced, and they also tend to emulate so much of what they hear and see.

Victor

This makes sense to me. Whenever I'm having a low-patience day and snap more at my toddler, she tends to act out more. We both end up miserable.