Overweight and hating it

Lorenzo

I was always trim when I was working outside the home, but now that I'm a full-time stay-at-home dad, I have become overweight! I love to cook and having all the time to do just that, I have ballooned to almost twice my normal weight. I am a bit lazy, too so I don't know where or what to start with to shed off these unwanted pounds. Help!

Salazar

I believe that weight loss starts in the kitchen. Working out is important, but all the exercise in the world isn't going to help if you don't change your eating habits. Since you're home, start with doing some research online for healthy menus and recipes. You can still cook as much as you want, but you'll be making better meals for yourself and your family.

Victor

I understand; I'm unhappy with my weight too. We're trying to eat more vegetables and watch our portions and I just joined a gym; my wife's mother watches the kids while I'm working out.

Bobby

I had a friend who was basically obese and the doctor told him to lose weight or else. He started to walk every single day and that made a huge difference for him. Why not take the kids and go for a long walk every day? You'll get exercise and probably start to feel better about yourself by being more active.

Michael

Try setting a timer several times a day. As soon as it goes off, head out the door and don't do another thing in the house until you've walked at least around the block. In the outside world, these things happen to us all the time and we walk to get the job done. Get it done.

Lorenzo

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys! Our family doctor just took my BP and ran some tests a couple of days ago, and we found out that I'm hypertensive. I guess I know now why I tire easily, has trouble breathing, has little patience, among other abnormal behaviors. So, undoubtedly, I really need to make a lifestyle change and take care of my body fast. I appreciate all the tips and will be looking to try any or all of them ASAP.

wilson

The lazy will not help but getting motivated will. Think of it this way, the more weight you carry (that you do not need) puts more pressure on your heart. You do want to be around for your kids right? Instant motivation. :)

Ravenfan

I would suggest limiting the temptations in the house. The less time you are tempted to eat the more likely you are to go outside and do something active. Even playing in the community pool with your child or a game of catch burns calories , which is better than eating which adds them. I'll admit it's not easy to do though. Once you get into a habit of outdoor activities it becomes easier to continue them on a daily basis.

Michael

Ravenfan, that's one of the best ways I know not to keep gaining weight. It at least helps eliminate the mindless eating we do while watching television. All those snack food calories add up, and there is so much hidden fat in chips and crackers.

Victor Leigh

I think you should really do something about the weight before it's too late. I am sure you would like to be around in good health to play with your grandchildren. So start working on this problem from both ends. Eat less and exercise more. Simple idea and it works.

polamalu43

Yes I agree that you should start right now. You already started - you admitted you have a problem. Get outside and get moving. You can take walks throughout the day with your kids. If your kids are older, get out and play kick ball or something active with them.

Victor Leigh

Yes I agree that you should start right now. You already started - you admitted you have a problem. Get outside and get moving. You can take walks throughout the day with your kids. If your kids are older, get out and play kick ball or something active with them.
It's going to take quite a bit more than just taking walks and kicking ball with the kids to bring down the weight. Yes, it's a good start but the activity has to be taken to a much higher level to produce any tangible results.

JRDeep

Try setting a timer several times a day. As soon as it goes off, head out the door and don't do another thing in the house until you've walked at least around the block. In the outside world, these things happen to us all the time and we walk to get the job done. Get it done.
Replace walking with running. Get your heart rate up and pump those legs. Changing what you eat, or the portion sizes are definitely a top priority. but the whole exercise aspect is very important too. Get into the habit of running or cycling when you have nothing better to do. When exercise becomes a hobby, you'll be hard pressed to keep those extra pounds.

Jatelo2

Now that you are the one who cooks and also loves it, simply control what you eat. Avoid intake of too much carbohydrates and start light jogging every morning. Also read alot since reading does utilize alot of energy to keep the brain vigil. As energy is gotten from fats, there will be some weight-loss I believe!