Pap's Cigars

Andersson

I remember growing up and our dad always smoked around us, now of course that is not the case as its not advised due to health issues that result from smoking. I have never smoked around my kids when I did either but I know that smoke smell can linger. Would that still count as second hand smoke?

themdno

I would say no, just the lingering smell isn't actually second hand smoke. From my understanding, second hand smoke, is just that, smoke. It is the left over smoke in the air, which others breath in. It's mostly a concern while you're smoking, and maybe a few minutes after.

I'd say it's still second hand smoke for a minute or two after you stop seeing smoke.

BigPapa

I wouldn't say that the smell would be considered second hand smoke either, no matter how distasteful it is. I have never smoked and I think that the smell is horrible.

Victor Leigh

No, the smell itself cannot be counted as second-hand smoke. It has to be the actual smoke itself. More accurately it's the smoke that others breath in when they are near someone who is smoking.

Michael

My mother and father were both heavy smokers, and I remember growing up in a house filled with smoke. The cars were even worse. As a result, I detest cigarettes, cigarette smoke and the smell of any sort. I'll probably end up being a victim of second-hand smoke inhalation from my childhood. We don't allow smoking in the house now.

josephconrad

My mother and father were both heavy smokers, and I remember growing up in a house filled with smoke. The cars were even worse. As a result, I detest cigarettes, cigarette smoke and the smell of any sort. I'll probably end up being a victim of second-hand smoke inhalation from my childhood. We don't allow smoking in the house now.
I think our lungs are more resilient than that. They say that 15 years after you quit smoking, your heart disease risk is similar to that of a non-smoker. Second-hand smoking isn't even that.

I don't do it, but I think that the occasional cigar is harmless, and even if it is a regular thing, as long as you are smoking outside, the smell couldn't do any harm to the kids. There are theories that it can, something about 3rd hand smoking, but I don't buy it.

polamalu43

I don't smoke and luckily my parents never did either. I don't think the smell of smoke is secondhand smoke. Its the actual smoke that they breath in. Your best bet is to smoke outside, not around the kids at all.

Lorenzo

No, the smell itself cannot be counted as second-hand smoke. It has to be the actual smoke itself. More accurately it's the smoke that others breath in when they are near someone who is smoking.
I'm glad you clarified this, Victor Leigh. I've always thought that second-hand smoke also refers to the lingering smell after. I've been smoking since High School and I've been trying to stop one time too many, for my family's sake. I don't smoke inside the house because my wife could not stand it. However, she still tells me I would get them all killed with second-hand smoke because of my smell. Now, I can actually tell her that it's not the case at all

Niceness8000

I don't think that smell is counted as second hand smoke. But when you are inhaling the smell of smoke, you are still inhaling the particles smoke contains. I'm not saying its lethal, but I am sure that a smoke-free house is more sanitary than one where smoke fingerprints linger.

Hank

Sorry guys, but the lingering chemicals that are on your clothing can have an effect on your children. There are so many chemicals in that smoke that will linger and cause problems even without the smoke. Formaldehyde is just one of the chemicals that lingers after the smoke is gone. Look it up online and you will be amazed how many compounds can be found in the remains of the smoke.

flfsurveyor

The smell or odor of cigar smoke is not second hand smoke. It is the smoke itself. But, as Hank pointed out, there are chemicals that may even be odorless that sticks to the clothing of the smoker or other articles inside the car or room that may just be as harmful.

Don

You shouldn't smoke in the house. Hank is right about the chemicals from the cigarette smoke lingering. We don't smoke, but our next door neighbor does. He always sits out on the back porch when he needs to smoke.

writer811

The smell alone should be harmless, even though it isn't very pleasant. There are still traces of the chemicals found in cigarette smoke on your clothing and in your mouth but I think it's minute enough to not pose any serious threat.

Hedonologist

Cigars are less likely to cause a problem. Whilst they do contain harmful chemicals, it is nowhere near as bad as the stuff found in mass produced cigarettes. I think someone who switched from cigarettes to cigars, will benefit more than someone who goes from cigars to quitting. I do believe in third hand smoke, but as long as it's outside the risk would be minimal.

Jeremy Green

I think it just depends on how soon they have smoked. Sometimes the smell can actually contain chemicals that is not conducive to the health of children. I think as long as the smoke is monitored the kids should be fine.

chea

I wouldn't smoke around my kids at all. I used to smoke but I quit some time ago. I think it would be wise to quit for your own health and also your children's. Also, your children are heavily influenced by what you do. If you smoke, the chances of them picking up a cigar later in life will be greater.

footballtim

I have never been more against second hand smoke than I am now. Just look at the statistics and see how many people die of second hand smoke.

That is why whenever someone lights up near me, especially a smelly cigar, I feel like saying something to them. I always do the smart thing and leave the area if I can.

youngone

No, passive smoking requires smoke. There is no physical harm if there is no smoke. However,. I don't think the lingering smell of cigarettes is good for the children because it sets a bad example, in my opinion.