Pop, soda or Coke?

BigPapa

I was looking at a map that had the US divided up in chunks based on what they called carbonated beverages. I live in the region that calls it pop, but I have lived in places where it was called soda too. I think it is interesting that someone actually took the time to compile this. What do you call it where you live?

polamalu43

It's called pop here. Once in a while you will hear someone call it soda pop. I drink Coke so I always say, we need Coke. One of my biggest pet peeves is when I go to a restaurant and ask is it Coke? They say yes and when they bring it, it is Pepsi.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I always call it soda but I'm from up north. I say it is a good mix here though as the population is mixed.

Timothy

We're from Georgia, where everything is Coke, even Pepsi. ;) Here, when you go into a restaurant, if you want a carbonated beverage, you ask for a Coke. If the restaurant doesn't carry Coca-Cola brand, they'll ask you, "Is Pepsi okay?", and it's on you to say yes/no.

Chrisitan

We're from Kentucky so it's "pop" here. If you don't call it that, you call it a "Coke" no matter what brand it is. However, we banned all of the carbonated beverages from home. They can get one if we are eating out, but all of the carbonated beverages are taboo here.

Sinbian

We're from Georgia, where everything is Coke, even Pepsi. ;) Here, when you go into a restaurant, if you want a carbonated beverage, you ask for a Coke. If the restaurant doesn't carry Coca-Cola brand, they'll ask you, "Is Pepsi okay?", and it's on you to say yes/no.
Hahaha, that is correct. I even had one grumpy waiter who told me, when I asked for Coke, "Pepsi". I assumed he actually meant to say, "there's no Coke, would you like a Pepsi?". I just nodded and he brought it. :)

Timothy

Hahaha, that is correct. I even had one grumpy waiter who told me, when I asked for Coke, "Pepsi". I assumed he actually meant to say, "there's no Coke, would you like a Pepsi?". I just nodded and he brought it. :)
Yeah I've had waiters do that to me too, almost as if they're correcting me. It kind of gets up under my skin, to be honest. If there's no Coke, fine, but say there's no Coke! Don't just mutter "Pepsi" under your breath!