Quitting without notice

Salazar

I have several guys under me at work and one of them just up and quit yesterday. He didn't even tell me. He left for lunch, called one of the other guys, and said, "Tell them to mail my check next week. I'm not coming back." What the heck?! I am not a bad boss and I don't think that was called for. I just don't understand the lack of professional ethics that some people have.

Independent

I don't know either. Maybe there was something personal going on. Or maybe he is one of those people who overextends himself until he just lets his world crash around him.

Len

There could have been an issue you just didn't know about, something too personal to share. I don't know. It really does suck but there might have been a reason for it.

Strongarm

We have a problem with that at my job as well too. Temps will come in and work 2nd shift and work for a little bit and then just take off and quit. I know that work sucks, but dang, what do they expect when they are temps going to work at a warehouse. No one ever leaves my department though. Quality control has about 75 years on this job between 6 of us so, it's hard to get in.

Blake

I admit that if I had a job I didn't care about and just needed the money I might do the same. I think it's just something that comes with people who aren't considering the job to be a career, unfortunately.

Pascallist

I think that is rude. An employee should give a notice to the employer when he is quitting, regardless of the reason. Finding a job is hard now and it would be harder for those who don't have professional ethics.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
You live in Florida too? I hear about that all the time. Seems like some people just work enough to get ahead a little and then wait until they need more money again.

Mel

I worked part time at a home improvement place for a year, and the turnover was SO high. People would go through training, be in the job a day or two and just not come back from lunch. They asked me "So are you coming back tomorrow?" Unbelievable!

Mohidad

I know that some jobs are too hard or boring to stick with more than a day, but if you had to quit, you would need to do it gracefully.

Johnson

As long as you are talking about low paying, low skill, hourly jobs that will always be a problem. I have never seen a time or a job market where jobs like that did not have a huge turnover rate.