Re-freezing chicken?

Timothy

My wife bought a family pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and since we didn't need them the day she bought them, she froze the whole pack. Now we're getting ready to cook some of the chicken, but we don't need to cook all of it. If we defrost the whole pack, can we refreeze the breasts we don't need individually? Can you re-freeze defrosted chicken or are we gonna have to figure a use for all of it now?

SingleDadNow

If I remember, the more times you freeze and thaw something, the more you degrade it. There are a lot of uses for cooked chicken, though. Why don't you cook what you need for your recipe, and then cook the rest for things like casseroles, etc.?

polamalu43

I would not do it. You should be breaking them apart when you first buy them. Freeze them in the quantity that you will need them. My mom always said that you shouldn't freeze, thaw and then freeze again. Something about bacteria.

Victor

I'm pretty sure refreezing thawed chicken is a bad idea. I'd never do it. Cook the extra chicken plain and use it in other dishes.

Timothy

My wife talked to her mom about it and she said the same thing -- don't do it. We are going to use 2 or 3 of the breasts for stovetop barbecue chicken and she has a couple of other recipes picked out for the rest of it. Something about chicken salad or chicken spaghetti; I can't remember!

Bear

You can cook the chicken and then re-freeze it to use in dishes later, but you can't thaw it and then re-freeze it raw. That's coming straight from the ServSafe manual. ;)