Recycling

Ronald

I know it's not healthy, but our family drinks a lot of soda... and beer, lol. As a result, we end up with a lot of empty aluminum cans, so we decided to start recycling them. We took 8 bags to a local recycling center yesterday and made $10 off them, so we decided to take the $10 and buy a can crusher, so we can double (or maybe even quadruple) the number of cans we can fit into each bag. I'm looking forward to seeing how much $$$ we make off the next 8 bags, all with teeny-tiny crushed cans in them.

Does anyone else recycle?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I give the cans to a friend which helps him out. But we only typically have soda cans when we have gatherings here. Then we have a recycle bin for the garbage man to pick up, and food scraps get recycled into our compost.

Glad to hear you are doing it though. Let us know how you make out with the can crusher.

Michael

Recycling cans and bottles is such a great project for children, I think. My daughter and I collect any we see and save them for my nephew. They like that they can share in a project, and the pennies do add up.

wilson

We recycle weekly but sometimes they tend to forget out block and we have to call or email to have someone come out mid day. Its weird, most places I have lived at end up having a full size container for recycling, ours are tiny bins.

JDan

I just set the stuff out in the street on garbage collection day. We sort it in bins in the house and store it outside until pick-up day. I never tried to make any money off of it. People who ride by are welcome to it.

Paul1960

We recycle cans for money, too. We bought a can crusher years ago and we've actually been through several since then, lol. Seriously, it's a great way to make money on the side if you have room to store the cans until you've got enough to recycle. We bought several large trash cans from the local hardware store, and we store the cans there until we have a pickup truck load. Then we take them to be recycled and put the money in our savings account. You can't really pay your bills with recycled money, lol, but it's a nice way to add a little "umph" to the Christmas fund.