Saving or stocking

Bear

This time of year is the only time we ever have any money to play with (tax time), and we have spent a good bit of money on stocking our cabinets and closets. By stocking I mean we buy ahead of the items we use regularly like laundry detergent, canned goods we eat a lot of, toilet paper etc. Our families are under the impression that we are "wasting" our money. What is your take on this?

ryan

I don't think it's a waste of money at all, Bear. It's a very smart strategy. Just look at what's happening to prices. If it's something you're going to use sooner or later, you can come out way ahead if you buy it before the price goes up even more. Items like paper towels and toilet paper can really take a hit when gas prices rise and it's passed on to the trucking and shipment costs. Paper goods don't weigh much, but they take up a lot of room when they're shipped.

Michael

Spending extra cash on things that won't go bad at good prices is a wise use of money. There's nothing wasteful about it if you know you'll use it. If it goes out of date or you have to end up throwing it out, then why buy it in the first place?

Bear

Well, that is one of the nice things about canned goods Michael. They are good for at least 5 years after the date on the can so you know you are going to eat them. That is exactly our thinking Ryan. We are trying to outfit a closet for storage of our "extras".

jason

Administrator
Staff member
We stock up when there is a good sale. I see nothing wrong with it. Some people say we are crazy for doing so. We stock up on things that will not spoil. And it helps when we can go from sale to sale and not have to pay full price.

Babar

I thought you meant something else when I first read the title! But no, I certainly don't think that you are "wasting" your money by buying things that you are going to use in time, anyway.

Salazar

I really like the idea of doing this and I don't think it's a waste at all. I think it's a good use of money, plus it's nice to know you'll have what you need for some time to come.

LeonR

Stockpiling is a great way to keep up with inflation as well as to take advantage of the sale prices of things. Think about it: soap never goes bad. Neither do paper products. I wish I had stocked up on paper towels and had an attic full of them back when my favorite brand was a full roll instead of those little air-filled half rolls they sell now for twice the price.

Andersson

I tend to stock year round honestly and this week is the first that it came back to bite me. I ended up running out of laundry soap (first time in almost five years too). Even though I had planned to avoid the store this week I am headed out come Saturday.

Victor

Nope, it sounds like a good idea. I tend to stock during sales, though, instead of a specific time of year.

The last time I bought toilet paper, I ran out of room to store it in the bathrooms! We have some sitting in a bedroom. :D

Bear

I have heard of people insulating their attics with packs of toilet paper and paper towels! I can't believe how much the price of paper products has gone up lately!

meowcow

It's only a waste if you are buying things that will go to waste. Also, if you could have put that money in a better place as investment. If you do not have any ideas yet on where to invest your money then it is perfectly fine to use it on the comfort of your family instead of just collecting dust in a bank account.

polamalu43

We stock year round too. We coupon and my wife is amazing at stocking our pantry and laundry room. We tend to save more money right after tax time. I think it's because we have stocked throughout the year.

Lieutenant

Rising prices is mainly due to inflation. Once the economy readjusts and wages gain ground to match rising inflation then prices will be more manageable. I do stock pile certain things such as bottled water mainly because I know through my job and training that the government will take at least 3-4 weeks to get food to people in a major disaster.

clipt

stockpiling should only be done in conjunction with deals and coupons. There's no point in stocking up on detergent (sometimes $15 for a jug) when you can get it on sale for $8 bucks.

Bear

Rising prices is mainly due to inflation. Once the economy readjusts and wages gain ground to match rising inflation then prices will be more manageable. I do stock pile certain things such as bottled water mainly because I know through my job and training that the government will take at least 3-4 weeks to get food to people in a major disaster.
Wages haven't risen since the 70's and I don't think they are going to go up anytime soon. However, I can guarantee you the price of food and other necessities will continue to rise.

Clift that is how we stock up...wait for a sale and then buy two or three of whatever the item is. For example, I will be hitting the grocery shortly for discounted ham that didn't sell for Easter. BBQ on the smoker anyone?!? :)