School leaving age set to be 18

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Young people will be required to stay in school, training or workplace training until the age of 18.

The Department for Education and Skills has confirmed plans to raise the school leaving age in England by 2013.

This will not mean that pupils have to stay in the classroom or continue with academic lessons - but they will have to continue to receive training.

It would mean raising the leaving age for the first time since 1972, when it was raised to the present 16 years old.

The proposals would seek to tackle the problem of young people leaving education without qualifications or workplace skills.

Despite repeated efforts to tackle this stubborn problem - the most recent figures for England showed that 11% of 16 to 18 year olds are still outside education, training or work.

more BBC NEWS | UK | Education | School leaving age set to be 18

Glenn

I wonder what they define as "training." Why not just put a ban on dropping out in the first place? Does anyone think the U.S will ever amend our current rules?

Kenny

Well in my state Georgia if you leave school before 18 without graduating then you can't get your driver's license. You can get it at 16 but if you drop out they revoke it.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Well in my state Georgia if you leave school before 18 without graduating then you can't get your driver's license. You can get it at 16 but if you drop out they revoke it.
A lot of states are doing that. They are also suspending licenses if you miss too many days or are failing school.