Separation or Divorce?

Len

How did you know that it was time for a separation instead of a divorce? At what point did you think that divorce was necessary? I have a friend separated from his wife and he is having a hard time trying to decide if it's time to divorce or not.

Salazar

My ex and I went straight for the divorce, but in your friend's case it sounds like he needs to ask himself some questions. Like, does he see himself getting back together with her? Does he want to make the marriage work? Where does he see himself in ten years? Is he happier apart from her than he was when he was with her? Also, what does she want?

Paranoid

He should also consider what is going to be best for the kids. If they can't work out their problems and are just going to fight, go for the divorce and get it over with. You don't need to keep the kids going back and forth over what is happening.

Albert

Well, there are generally two important things to consider when deciding whether to temporarily separate or get a divorce. The first one is represented by the feelings the two partners have for each other. If there is still love withing the relationship, there is still a possibility for working out most of their problems, and the marriage should be given a second chance. The second aspect to be considered is the wellbeing of the children. Parents need to be responsible and decide, with objectivity, whether the children are better off in a family with two parents that don't want to be together, or in a broken family, where each parent has the chance to continue his life peacefully.