Seriously considering becoming vegetarians

Howard

We are seriously considering becoming vegetarians. The health reasons and the money that could be saved each year make it an appealing thought. Have you considered this?

Jacob

I hate how much money flies away on meat every month and this idea of yours may be a very good one. Although I don't think we could manage entirely without animal products.

Pascallist

Good for you. We haven't officially become vegetarians, but we have tried to reduce our meat, chicken and other animal based food intake. We actually do it for both reasons you have mentioned.

Tobsey

Since my religion demands often fasting I don't eat meat or animal products that much, except fish. Other than that you could say that I do eat like a vegetarian sometimes.

Bonzay

I though about it a few years back because I had a problem with bad digestion that was caused with certain animal derived foods. But since that went away I'm not sure there's a reason for it now.

wilson

A friend of mine was one before she was pregnant but once that test turned positive everything changed, her body craved the meat. I doubt we could do it, we love chicken too much.

WagnerB

To start being a vegetarian is easy. Which is harder is to stay in the lifestyle. A friend of mine joked that only rich people can be vegetarians.

Babar

Your reasons for wanting to become a vegetarian have some flaws in them. While it's true that cutting out meat may reduce the amount of fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol in your diet, it could just as easily not if you don't plan your meals right.

And being a vegetarian is far from cheap. You'll end up skimping on important vitamins and minerals if you shop only for low-cost vegetarian staples. You'll find that it takes a lot of hard work to not become bored with your food choices, especially when dining out.

Salazar

My wife has been a vegetarian for 20 years and it is definitely not cheap. The cost of healthy eating these days is quite expensive. I can personally attest to the health benefits of it (I often go as long as a month without eating meat), but you may not save as much money as you think.

Clay

I am not ready to become a vegetarian, but since my wife basically hates eating meat, I do not eat meat a lot. She isn't vegetarian, meat and fat just freak her out and she doesn't like the taste. I think you can reduce your meat consumption and save money, but I think you will spend more money becoming a vegetarian.

ryan

Beans are a cheap way to wean yourself off meat. Howard is right about it having a dual benefit. It's the price of meat that's made it a more immediate issue. However, nothing is as expensive as poor health, so maybe it's best to give up meat even without the price hike.

Victor

I've considered it because of the cost, but unfortunately I don't like beans. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get enough healthy sources of protein and iron to make up for the lack of meat.

Bear

Vegetarianism may be healthier for some people, but it is definitely not going to be cheaper. Have you seen the cost of produce these days? Our two little ones LOVE blueberries and strawberries, and the price is just outrageous these days. Even bananas have gone up considerably.

Michael

I keep reading where the price of meat will be going through the roof over the coming years, so it might be a good idea to begin developing some alternative habits. I'm a meat and potatoes guy, but I can't afford to pay astronomical meat prices.

Bear

I think the price of everything is about to skyrocket, but yes they have been saying that we don't have enough cattle to supply the demand. People are actually stealing cows from ranchers because the price for a head of cattle is so high, and ranchers are losing large quantities of the herd due to droughts.

Jonathan

I think the price of everything is about to skyrocket, but yes they have been saying that we don't have enough cattle to supply the demand. People are actually stealing cows from ranchers because the price for a head of cattle is so high, and ranchers are losing large quantities of the herd due to droughts.
Well, if that's the case, I think it is time to go vegetarian. It is easier said than done though. Anyway, for vegetarians here, how long time did it take to fully develop the eating habit?

Don

We sometimes do Meatless Monday, but so far we haven't come up with enough main dishes to go without meat for a week. I don't think going meatless is any cheaper, however, it sometimes seems like those meals are actually a bit higher.

Victor Leigh

Maybe not become a total vegetarian. Just keep meat down to a minimum. Minimum like once a month. I don't think you will lose out on any health benefits if you chose a balanced vegetarian diet.

Timothy

If you're looking to save money, why not grow your own garden? If you grew your own seasonal fruits and vegetables, you could allot more of your food budget towards meat.

If you're looking to improve your health, consider switching to lean meat sources and healthier cooking methods. Chicken is much healthier than ground beef, for example, and grilling is healthier than frying.

^ Just my two-cents worth!