Shoulder injury

Bear

I started my year off with a very nearly broke shoulder. My wife and I got locked in our bedroom and the door absolutely would not open. Our four year old was sick and got hysterical when we couldn't get to her so out the bedroom window I went. That did not go over nearly as well as I planned it in my head, and now I have had a bum shoulder for over a week. I can't go to the doctor since there is no insurance so I am hoping it is just badly bruised and will heal on it's own.

polamalu43

Wow that is crazy crap! You had to climb out the window. Stinks that you messed up your shoulder. You probably need to go to the doctor though, might he worse than you think.

Sinbian

Sorry to hear that, but I guess you had no other option at the time. I probably would have done the same as you have done.

Timothy

Bear, wow! That's one heck of a way to start the year off! Were you guys ever able to get the bedroom door to open? How did you hurt your shoulder - did you fall and land on it wrong when you climbed out the window?

Bear

I totally landed on my shoulder. I was trying to kind of walk my way down the wall (brick house) and it just didn't work out. I ended up landing on my shoulder, and it has been quite colorful. Today is the best it has felt yet though. We did get the door open finally, and we tried everything we could think of before taking the window option. My baby girl was hysterical and sick though so there was absolutely NO WAY I was not going to get to her. We did learn an important lesson about maybe having a few tools in the bedroom (could have taken the door off the hinges) or maybe a two step ladder (much nicer than practically falling out of a window) though. Now I get to replace a door too...we punched a hole all the way through it (to reach the handle on the other side) and it still wouldn't open. When I got back in the house I had to kick it in. :(

Andersson

I have managed a few silly things like that in my past but thankfully those days are over. I remember one year our son got stuck in a tree, it was his first year climbing trees and he thought he was pretty brave. Picked the biggest tree on the lot and was 3/4 of the way up it before the wife and I heard him screaming so up I went. He got down safely, I was spooked by a racoons and dropped about 20 feet breaking my leg.

Timothy

I totally landed on my shoulder. I was trying to kind of walk my way down the wall (brick house) and it just didn't work out. I ended up landing on my shoulder, and it has been quite colorful. Today is the best it has felt yet though. We did get the door open finally, and we tried everything we could think of before taking the window option. My baby girl was hysterical and sick though so there was absolutely NO WAY I was not going to get to her. We did learn an important lesson about maybe having a few tools in the bedroom (could have taken the door off the hinges) or maybe a two step ladder (much nicer than practically falling out of a window) though. Now I get to replace a door too...we punched a hole all the way through it (to reach the handle on the other side) and it still wouldn't open. When I got back in the house I had to kick it in. :(
Wow. :eek: I think we might need to put some similar tools in our bedroom in case something like this ever happens to us. Glad you didn't break any bones!

Bear

Yeah, Timothy that hindsight is always 20/20. We do now have a small tool box in our room and the two step ladder. I haven't replaced the door yet, but it is on my list.

Bearsfan

My sister had a reverse situation happen with her two little girls, who were 4 and 6 at the time. They were being silly and went into the bathroom and the door lock was sometimes tricky(it was on my brother-in-law's fix-it list). Well, they got stuck in there, and my brother-in-law, fortunately was on his way home from work already and was able to get the door open. The whole situation took about 20 minutes, and the girls took it pretty well, but I think my brother-in-law was in the doghouse for a few days.

Bear

When my shoulder is better I am replacing at least the knobs on all of our interior doors so that this never happens again. My wife is extremely claustrophobic and it happened to her in our bathroom the other day. There is no window in that room so that could cause some real problems.