Smoking and not working

TJoel

I respect fathers and husbands who stay at home being homemakers either by situation or by choice. But I just cannot understand my brother in law. He is currently unemployed (I suspect by choice), smoking, and his wife (my sister) still cooks for him. They haven't got a child yet.

Rod

That's a tough one, watching your sister slave for a guy who sounds like a deadbeat. But there may be more to it than you know, so be careful about wading in and making assumptions.

Blake

I agree with Rod. It's hard to judge a relationship from the outside, even though your description does sound like a deadbeat. I think people can still choose to stay at home even if they don't have kids though. It might even be something they have talked about. I don't think the fact that his wife cooks for him is telling in itself.

Regis

Maybe he's a horrible cook? I wouldn't read too much into it but I know when it comes to sisters we automatically disapprove of the slightest thing.

Greendad

I agree with the others, what really happens is not always what it looks like. They may have discussed and agreed on it before. Who knows that he is working at home.

TJoel

Thanks for the feedback. He is not working any freelance job online if it's what you mean with working at home. He is not even familiar to the internet.

Pascallist

I am sorry for your sister. I assume that he stays at home and your sister is the breadwinner in the family. Is that the case? Have you ever talked with your sister about it?

Ed35

I guess I don't get what the deal is with him smoking? It's his choice.... I agree he could be a terrible cook. How close are you to the relationship? I'm sure your sister will speak up if she in unhappy!

bighelp

Has anyone ever attempted to talk to the sister? Sometimes unless it comes from someone outside of the family like a friend, the person will not notice what is going on. My friend had this issue years ago and she never thought it was a problem until many others pointed it out for her.