Smoking

the saint

If there is one thing I'd like to do, as a Christmas gift to myself and my family... it is to be able to stop smoking. I've been trying for sometime, but I'd make it work this time.

SteppinIn

What have you tried? Different things work for different people, and I'm hearing lots of good things about those "esmokes" now and how well they've worked for some people.

SamMo

I had a heart attack at the age of 57 and my wife stopped smoking, just like that. It was several years after that I finally stopped and I had another two heart attacks. I found it very difficult to stop but my wife found it easy. You just have to get your head around it.

stewy

My wife and I have been trying to stop for the sake of our children because they are at the age now when they are asking what it is. I've heard good things about the electronic cigarette so I may give that a go as nothing else has worked.

stayathomepaul

I had the hardest time quiting smoking. The one thing I learned was to never give up. Each time I tried to quit I learned what would work for me and what would not. Keep your chin up and you can do it!

Steve

What a wonderful gift to yourself and your family! I used the patch and lots of hard candy and suckers. Positive reinforcement from friends an family helped too!Good luck to you.

MickL

If there is one thing I'd like to do, as a Christmas gift to myself and my family... it is to be able to stop smoking. I've been trying for sometime, but I'd make it work this time.
That would be a great Christmas gift for yourself and your family. I don't smoke myself and I am very grateful for that, but I personally know some people who smoked before and managed to stop their habit.

Cruise

Good luck! I believe you will make it with support from your family. You will do it not only for yourself but also for your beloved ones, and that will be a good motivation for you.

daddyJoe

I had the hardest time quiting smoking. The one thing I learned was to never give up. Each time I tried to quit I learned what would work for me and what would not. Keep your chin up and you can do it!
I think that's the best advice you can give to someone like me who quit twice years ago and picked up smoking again as soon as I was under stress. I'd given up and resigned myself to being a smoker until the day I die. Your post kindled a spark of hope!

KSmith

I heard the electronic cigarettes are a good alternative to cigarettes. They have some nicotine in them, but there is no smoke, which means no second-hand smoke. Has anyone used them to quit?

Daddy-O

As an ex-smoker, I think smoking is more about habit than addiction. It just seems like the natural thing to do to light up a smoke after dinner or before bed. I quit by finding other things to do with my time and my hands. I started going to the mall, where you can't smoke, and I always had a handful of Silly Putty. You'd be surprised how helpful that can be.

danno

I wish everyone luck who wants to quit but I'm not going to do it over Christmas because I know how irritable it will make me and that would make my son's Christmas miserable.