Snoring and sleep apnea.

BensDad

Both my brother and snore(of course he is worse than I am)just like our dad. My sister is telling us that snoring could mean we suffer from sleep apnea. Is this true? How do we find out if we have sleep apnea?

MickL

My wife told me that I also snore and I snore more badly when I feel tired. I don't know if it's the symptom of sleep apnea or not. You may be suffering from sleep apnea if you feel sleepy and tired in the day time.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah they say it is a symptom, but does not necessary mean he has it. Just like if you sneeze it does not me you have the flu, but it is a symptom. Does he show any other symptoms like waking up tired even after 8 hours of sleep?

Daddy-O

A person with sleep apnea actually quits breathing for short periods of time (I know, my dad had it). The only way to tell is to watch the person sleeping. If they quit breathing and then suddenly snort or cough, then they probably have it. It's more popular among men and among those who are overweight. It usually happens only when the person is lying on his/her back.

MickL

I am not overweight but normally I sleep in supine position. Is it the reason why I snore when sleeping? Is supine position is not the best sleeping position?

Cruise

Both my brother and snore(of course he is worse than I am)just like our dad. My sister is telling us that snoring could mean we suffer from sleep apnea. Is this true? How do we find out if we have sleep apnea?
I remember this topic featured in a Rachael Ray's show :)D). Just because you snore when sleeping doesn't mean you are suffering from sleep apnea. If you had ever broke your nose, you would likely snore also.

Mack

My men's health issue has been that I can't get any sleep when my WIFE snores! It's not sleep apnea, so the doc recommended an inexpensive mouthpiece that works really well.

noahsdad

All of the above is correct, you can snore and not have sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is caused when you quit breathing while sleeping. Your doctor can advise you to a clinic where you will have to endure a sleep test. My dad just went through this and now has to use an oxygen mask at night, but he feels much better in the morning!

Millman

Going through a sleep study is really the only way to diagnose if you have sleep apnea. If it is determined that you do have it, they will probably give you a CPAP machine which will keep your airway open and stop the snoring. Everyone will be able to sleep better.

stewy

My wife had terrible problems snoring and she had tests for sleep apnea. Luckily her snoring disappeared completely after she lost a lot of weight so I think if you are overweight this could be the cause.