Social Networking Sites and School

homedepot23

So I heard a story that a kid started a facebook page on how it hates a couple of teachers at school. The kid was on the Student Council and was removed fromt he STudent Council along with any other members of the group on facebook.

Do you think what the school did was ok?

Glenn

We are living is such a crazy time. Kids are being bullied via these sites (did you hear about the girl who committed suicide due to cyber bullying?) and they are also speaking out publicly against people and situations. I really don't know where I stand on this. It's a fine line between censorship and teaching them to be more responsible individuals.

Daffy

I agree Glenn. It would be a difficult call. On one hand they have the right to free speech, but on the other hand they are abusing that right and the rights of the teachers to be able to discipline the students. I don't know what to think about it. I'll have to think on this one for a while.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I have a hard time with this also. The kid was off school property at the time which makes it harder. I could see if he was at school, or using school resources to do this. I would think the parents should at least have a talk to the kid about consequences, but to be kicked out of student council seems a bit too much.

MatthewR

I'm not 100% sure either. I don't want my kids on these sites. I think they are bad news. Why can't it be the way it was when we were kids? Go outside play baseball with your buddies, go take girls out to the movies, etc. I hate these sites and I think they are bad news.