Sole Parenting and questions about mom

Independent

My kids mom is not involved with the kids because she has an addiction problem. The kids have started asking questions about this. What should I tell them?

WillyWonka

My little one isn't old enough to ask questions but I've thought of that myself. I thought I would just tell her that Mommy was sick right now and couldn't come to visit or we can't visit her until she is "healthy" again. I'm not going to go into details or anything with her until she gets MUCH older.

Papa Bear

I agree with Willy Wonka. It depends on the emotional maturity of the child. Such situation may be too much for a child less than 6 years old to understand.

Independent

Yeah. I like the way you put it. I really do not want them to know the harsh reality of it right now but I do want to be as honest as possible with them. Thanks for the advice. If anyone thinks of anything else let me know.

Johnny

I think you must be really, really careful when it comes to this kind of thing. You know your kids best, so tell them what they can handle. I mean, when they're really young you can say "Mommy went away for a while because she's sick" or something to that effect. As they get older you can elaborate on what she's sick from.. and then teach them about it. Let them know that she loves them and she's sorry or whatever you need to say to make it easier for them

richard42

Well, I think it depends on how old your kids are and if they would understand the issue. But assuming they are old enough to understand, I think the best advice is to simply be honest with them about it.