Son Became A Vegetarian

GranddadHoward

My son recently became a vegetarian. My wife and I are concerned that he won't get all the nutrients he needs, even though we realize there are a lot of people who do not eat meat. He already stopped drinking cow's milk and limits his consumption of dairy products. How do vegetarians get protein and other nutrients that are mainly found in meat and dairy products?

Pascallist

How old is your son? Anyway, you shouldn't worry too much about that. I have a friend who has been a vegetarian since she was three or so. She is a healthy, smart and pretty woman. Now she has two children who are vegetarians as well.

Greendad

What's wrong with dairy products? I think they are fine for vegetarians as they don't come from slaughtered animals. Anyway, he can get enough protein from plant based sources like beans, nuts and seeds.

stayathomepaul

My daughter went through this phase. I did not do all the hard work for her. In the end she decided that being a healthy vegetarian is too much work. You have to cook tofu, soy products and beans. Also you can switch to almond or soy milk, both have protein. Honestly, you would not believe the hard work, time and money it takes to eat as a healthy diet as a vegetarian, and I don't care what anyone says case we tried it.

Salazar

My wife has been a vegetarian for almost 20 years and we are raising our daughter as a vegetarian. I really don't see where there is any extra work involved.

Anyway, there are lots of books out there about kids and vegetarianism to help you find different recipes. There are also some good websites you can Google. I don't know the specifics on this stuff because the wife takes care of it, but I know the information is out there. I also know it is perfectly safe and a very healthy lifestyle choice.

bighelp

My sister in law is a V and right now a few in the family worry about her. She had a few random health slips but for the most part she is in good shape, the problem is that for no reason any doctor can figure out she can not get pregnant.