Son wants to go military after HS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack

My son wants to join the Marine Corps when he graduates high school. My wife hates the thought. I think it would be good. Suggestions for how to win his Mom over?

stewy

I joined when I was sixteen and have never regretted it. I have been all over the world with my mates and have also managed a family life with a loving wife and two wonderful daughters. There are risks in every aspect of life but to do something worthwhile is a wonderful thing.

PeterPater

I can see why his Mom is upset over it but if you allow her to speak freely (to you) about her fears she may work it out. At the end of the day she risks harming her relationship with him if she manages to stop him doing something he really wants.

Adam

Oh, that is a tough situation! I never really wanted to be in the military so it was never even a thought in my mind. I hope that whatever happens in this situation, that it all works out for the best & everyone is happy.

flfsurveyor

It is a laudable idea! Your son is old enough to decide what to make of his life and service to his country is indeed a fine way to build a life.

Babar

I would suggest the Air Force instead; it has a lot more "perks", and life is generally more comfortable. The military is a good move for getting an education, establishing a reputable work history, travel opportunities, etc., but many members grow tired of the B.S. policies and get out after a few years, so your son should keep that in mind.

BigPapa

I think that your wife needs to sit down and have a talk with your son. If he can assure her that he has thought this through and weighed out the pros and cons, I am sure she will come around. Even if she doesn't love the idea, she will have to appreciate his plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.