Spaghetti

Timothy

My wife and I cannot agree on spaghetti. It's not as big a deal as you might think though, because we usually never want it at the same time, so sometimes I'll have it and make it my way, and other times she'll have it and make it her way.

How do you make your spaghetti?

Victor

We boil some pasta and heat up some jarred sauce. It's pretty basic and we both like it that way. I used to eat it with meat a long time ago, but I don't miss having meat in it and going without is friendlier to the budget.

Michael

This is a dish my wife fixes all the time. She uses the sauces out of the jar and adds a little ground beef to them. We use whatever pasta is on special. We use anything sized noodles, but she has started using the whole grain ones more often.

BigPapa

Sauce out of a jar? Not in my house. I make homemade sauce with fresh veggies (mushrooms, onions, green peppers) and whole tomatoes from a can. I also add ground turkey to it. We use the whole grain pasta too.

Endalia

We use canned sauce made from our garden produce. Brown the meat and onions and drain them. Put them back in the skillet and add the sauce and turn it down to simmer. Cook the pasta and drain it. Dump it in a cooking oil sprayed 9X13 inch pan. Pour the sauce over the pasta and sprinkle it with mozzarella cheese. Pop it in the oven and melt the cheese while you are toasting garlic bread in the oven. Meal should be ready by the time you drag the kids out of the sink where they are making sail boats out of coffee filters.

Timothy

Wow! It looks like everyone here has their own way of making it. Victor - I think we may be going to a meatless spaghetti like yours soon, to save on the budget. The last time we made spaghetti, my wife came home from Kroger with just over 2 pounds of ground beef and it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $12 or $14 dollars. It's just getting ridiculous!

Endalia

I can understand that. That's why we make meals that stretch the meat, like spaghetti or soup. The meatless meals we make use a lot of beans or lentils and rice. That's the best way I know how to stretch the cost of the meat.

Andersson

Even after all of these years we can not always agree on ours either, but it is not the pasta it is the sauce. I love Alfredo sauces and the better half does not like them at all.

BigPapa

Timothy what on Earth kind of burger was she buying for $7 a pound? I buy ground sirloin (the best cut) from the butcher and I can usually get 2 pounds for around $8. I would be going meatless if meat around here was that expensive too.

Andersson

BigPapa where are you shopping? Yes seven a pound is a big chunk of change but I have never seen anything for two a pound. Do you have a secret store you are using?

Salazar

My wife is Italian so she is in charge of all Italian dishes in our house. She uses her grandmother's recipes to make everything from scratch and I just stay out of it, but that's okay with me because it's all delicious.

Don

We usually use cans of diced tomatoes, a sauce pack, ground beef, mushrooms and the noodles. If I make it, I usually put a tablespoon of sherry or wine into it. We just started making it this way about six months ago.