spending $ you do not have

Don

One big problem with this is that it can be a generational thing. Kids that see their parents spending money like it's water are going to learn to do the same thing. Also, I agree about spending too much on those so-called bargains. You can get some good values at dollar stores, but some of it is worth even less than you paid for it. These days, we only buy everyday household stuff like toothpaste, cleaning products, etc.
I agree. My wife use to like to shop and get whatever she wanted because that is what her mother and father always did. We got into some trouble with credit cards after we got married, so now they are only used if there is a true emergency. Unfortunately, she sometimes thinks everything is an emergency --- so I have to really keep an eye on things.

Lorenzo

We used to own a couple of credit cards, and unfortunately, almost got in trouble with the banks because of consistently late payments. My wife and I have learned our lesson. We got rid of our credit cards and only pay cash. That way, we only spend within the budget.

Bearsfan

My wife and I used to be bad at what she called impulse buying. Now, we got some pretty cool things, but we did run up the credit cards. When we had our first baby, we had to sit down and serious look at and talk about our finances and spending habits. We have worked on paying off our credit cards and saving verses spending.

Dad Brad

I think some people actually fool themselves into thinking they will be making more money down the road and don't mind spending their future earnings today. Some also don't figure in emergency or unexpected bills.

Andersson

I see many people who spend what they do not have and then wonder why they have such a horrible credit rating. I had issues as a young adult but I quickly realized that having good credit is amazing and sometimes a serious live saver.

Dad Brad

I would much rather have a great credit rating and savings for a rainy day than any gadget out there on the market. My father instilled in us the value of a dollar. So much of that awareness has been lost in today's children. Some of the adults are the worst culprits.

Gavin

I just have to wonder how I would act if I had enough money to spare. I would probably do what I do now.....spend it on what I need. I never did understand people who spend more then they have.

BigPapa

I had a girlfriend in college that was this way. She would complain that she didn't have enough money to pay a bill or whatever and then go out and pay $30 for a manicure. t used to drive me absolutely crazy.