Spring Cleaning

James

What all do you clean when you're "spring cleaning"? For us, it includes repainting the inside of the house, shampooing and/or steam cleaning the carpet, and cleaning all the kitchen cabinets, ceiling fans and windows. Oh, and we also clean out the gutters. :-/

CHenne

We include all of the above except painting the rooms. That is a great idea though, we usually just use bleach and hot water and wipe the walls down. The kids love to help with this part - of course I'm being sarcastic.

Last edited:

Ronald

Spring cleaning for us means cleaning the entire house top to bottom, usually with a vacuum and a bucket of purple water (watered-down Castrol Super Clean, best stuff EVER) and also cleaning out all the closets, the attic, the storage space up under the house, and all the storage buildings. (We make several trips to the trash dump and Goodwill during our spring cleaning phase.)

Sinbian

I won't be thinking that much in the future. But cleaning for us means vacuuming, wiping dust, heavy bathroom cleaning and similar stuff. Of course this includes the entire apartment - top to bottom, as Ronald said.

Kost

I think we paint every few years but every year? I already hate the idea of painting and I doubt I could do it on a yearly basis. We do all of the other stuff and for the two weeks when we go through the house the kids get a bonus allowance for helping out with initiative not when they are instructed to.

Paul1960

When we are spring cleaning, I focus mostly on the outside of the house, like cleaning out the gutters, cutting back branches that have grown to close to the house, and cleaning out the barn. My wife focuses more on the inside of the house, shampooing the carpet and vacuuming the spider webs out of all the corners and such.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
We do a deep cleaning. Dusting, tile grout, old english any wood, and so on. No painting or anything like that. I do yard work year around, but I'm trying to do a deep cleaning 2 or 3 times a year.

JDan

We walk around the house every winter and make a list of outside things that need doing. When spring gets here, we know what to do. We begin in January after Christmas decorations are put away and begin working through the house, from the front door and throughout the house in a counter-clockwise position. By spring, we've gone through all the drawers and culled items. We're ready to wash, scrub, paint and polish at that point.

Sam

We go room by room and dust and wash anything that needs washing, move all the furniture and shampoo rugs, and oil down all our woodwork and wood furniture. We start now so we are ready to move outside when Spring arrives.

Dad Brad

It seems like I do spring cleaning every month of the year. There is always something that needs fixing and never enough time to do it all. I am not good at all these things that other fathers manage to do so easily, or so it seems.