Step-father with no partner

2andalone

I am the father of two little girls, 4 years apart in age. I am a single father with custody of them both. My problem is that my oldest girl is my step-daughter and her biological mother and father are no longer in the picture by choice. She knows I'm her step-father but she asks questions about her biological parents all the time. How can I explain the situation to her? She's only 6.

the saint

That is a very difficult situation and I admire you for having her with you all this time. Maybe you should ask help from a psychologist or a counselor on how deal with her questions.

Alexander

Try explaining to her that her parents can no longer be there for her and reassure her that no matter what happens you will be there for her. Kids need to feel safe in their environment, if you can accomplish that she will probably stop asking about her biological parents.

Last edited:

Father Adviser

Shes 6. Answer briefly, truly but save unpalatable details. Do not speak negatively about the bio parents even if true for she likely has feelings for and identification with them. Give reassurances of your commitment again briefly clearly and shortly. If you have family or reliable friends build a network of support to simulate extended family. Kids her age care about body count.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk