Sushi at Home

Clay

My family loves sushi, and we were considering trying to make it ourselves. Has anyone accomplished this feat and had good results? I figure replicating sushi is not the same as trying to make other fast food favorites.

Ed35

Yuk! Sorry I can't give you any advice as I wouldn't touch the stuff. Nothing raw (besides clams) will go near my mouth! I don't think it even looks like you should eat it.

Salazar

My wife makes sushi, but so far she hasn't had any luck with rolling the rice so it's on the outside. Apparently, that requires a very specific cooking technique with the rice that she hasn't mastered yet. If you don't mind the nori being on the outside, it's pretty easy.

Clay

What does your wife put inside the sushi? We were thinking about doing crab or something that is kind of pre-cooked, because we just do not feel safe doing completely raw fish ourselves. Do you have one of those bamboo mats to roll the sushi with? I saw a kit at Books A Million that came with one, but I was not sure if it was neccesary.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I know they sell a special rice for sushi. I think that is pretty important. My wife got a book, but since she is pregnant she cannot eat it, and will not give it a try yet. We do have the special rice for it though.

Victor

What kind of rice is needed? I would love to be able to make sushi at home and don't mind the nori on the outside; actually I prefer it that way.

Clay

I think the rice is Japanese rice or something, and it is in the Asian food aisle. My wife said she found out the Japanese rice was stickier. She also said something about rice vinegar. My wife ate sushi when she was pregnant. She asked her doctor, and he said most sushi had been heated enough to be safe to eat. The doctor said just ask the person making the sushi, which rolls are really raw fish.

Donald

We have always eaten fish and grew up having it two or three times a week. Ours came out of the river and out of the ocean. We also cooked it. We had fried fish, broiled fish, fish stew, baked fish and fish kebabs. We could put Bubba Gump to shame. The point is: we cooked our fish and want it cooked.