Talking while you are on the computer

Don

Is it just me? I swear that every time I sit down to try to get some work done on the computer, either my wife wants to talk to me or one of my kids suddenly needs to ask me something.

micromachne

I know how you feel. I get that at my house too. It's like the very MOMENT I get ready to do something that I want to do, it's "honey, can you come over here", "honey, I need you to this or that".

Believe me, I know exactly what you mean.

Bear

This is not just you. My wife works from home online, and I have been taking most of my classes online this semester. Every single time one of us sits down to work someone breaks something, falls off of something, needs to go to the potty, is hungry, or needs to be changed. No wonder we are both so tired all of the time, because it has been 3 or 4 in the morning before we get to go to bed the last few weeks.

Kyp

I know what you mean too! It's almost as if they wait for me to get to the computer and begin doing whatever it is I am doing, then everyone in the house needs my attention! I have learned that if I get on early enough in the morning or late enough at night, I am not bothered often.

newguy

The computer has become the 21st century phone and it only goes to figure that the same thing would apply. Remember when you were young and as soon as your parent got on the phone you would talk? Or when you got on the phone and your parent wanted to talk? LOL I think it happens to everyone!

Lorenzo

LOL I think it happens to everyone!
Absolutely, it does happen to everyone! :) I don't know why people choose to talk or ask you something important when your focus is on something else. My wife usually does this to me. Then she becomes irritated that I take my time answering her back. :D

Babar

Luckily being on the computer usually doesn't involve that much concentration (unless you're working or similar); still, it can be annoying to be be distracted from what you want to do. Explain to them that computer time is daddy's quiet time and you're not to be bothered.

BigPapa

It happens to me all the time, then she complains that I am not paying attention. I can't help it if she needs to talk to me the second I start to work. I can do both at the same time although I would like to do them separately.

Michael

My daughter wants me to watch her dance, watch her tumble, watch her play and watch her do everything. She's such a little show-off. My wife chooses to interrupt my conversations when I'm on the telephone. It's so annoying. Divorces happen over stuff like this, I'm convinced.

Dan

I get up before everyone and get work done or do it after they are in bed. There's no chance of me getting it done when anyone is awake. A lot of mornings find me at work at 5am just to get things done.

dreyz

That happens quite often as well :) I only find it slightly annoying when I have to GET UP, but if I can entertain them by answering or just responding, then I can tolerate it.

Mr. Rogers

There's something about seeing a comfy Dad that makes everyone think that they need you. It's a universal problem I think. LOL.

Same way with the phone. If you get on it for any reason it's like there's an instant fight in my house with the kids.

Jatelo2

I call it a natural coincidence It does happen (and I'm glad not to me alone) often times. Sometimes it is very annoying but also very risky since any show of lack of interest would be equated to preference to the computer as opposed to your wife or kids, a matter that is a natural recipe for chaos!

JRDeep

Because I work from home, this happens all the time. I know I can never get any silence when I'm at the computer. I'll just start up media player, and let some peaceful music play in the background to maintain my calm.

footballtim

You should try multitasking with severe adult ADD which is what I have. I cannot imagine myself having kids with my ADD problem. I think that it would be like the blind leading the blind.

ghanashyam

That is the major drawback of working in the house. The same problem is for everybody, I have to answer all the telephone calls and door bells, sometimes even taking inquiring persons about who stays on which floor.