Texting led to a Deadly Pileup

PatrickK

A while back a 19-year-old was texting from his pickup truck right before he hit 2 school buses and a tractor trailer. The pickup driver and a student on one of the buses died and 38 students were injured. The students were going to Six Flags. This happened last year but apparently the knowledge of the texting just became news.

One thing I've noticed is that people don't think it's dangerous when they text and drive, only when other people do it. It's that kind of thinking that causes tragedies like these. Texting and driving is dangerous, isn't that common sense?

Sportsfanatic

People don't think crashes can happen to them because it hasn't, but all it takes is one mess up and it could be a bad accident. I've heard of numerous ones where I live. It's sad, but this is the world we live in. Half the people can't even drive without being on their phone and while they think they are ok doing it, it isn't ok to cut someone off because you aren't paying attention.

Dad Brad

Texting while driving is so dangerous for anyone. This is especially true for new drivers. I was rear-ended once while at a dead stop, waiting to turn left, when a teen slammed me from behind. He was trying to find a radio station he liked. I wish they'd ban cell phones all around while people are driving.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I hate to say it, but we really need a higher entry point to get a license. Both in terms of study and time spent learning behind the wheel, and monetary. Like dad brad said, he was hit by someone who simply switching radio stations. Think of all those who eat food while driving.

But people still think the speed limit is a suggestion. People will always say it will not happen to them. Texting is just the latest in a long line.