The Dentist

Ravenfan

How does your child react to going to the dentist. If he is scared, what ideas do you use to try to help him feel more comfortable when going to the dentist.

themdno

He is usually a bit scared, as I'm sure most kids are. But, I try to make it seem like it's just not a big deal. I'm like, you aren't afraid of the nice dentist are you? You're too big for that.

I just try to make him seem like he can take it, and it wont be much bother to him. I want him to think he's overreacting. Then, when he gets there, it doesn't seem that bad after all.

The dentists are actually pretty good at making them feel comfortable when they're there. It's just getting them there that's the problem, haha!

polamalu43

My kids used to be scared to go but not anymore. We picked a pediatric dentist so everything there was kid friendly and geared towards kids. The hygienists made the kids feel right at home.

joeldgreat

How to bring your kids to the dentist would be the big problem, that is if the kid already develop the fear of them. I think for the first timers, it would be better to visit the dentist first simply by getting to know him and be friendly to your child. A simple dental check would, then followed by the more rigorous dental procedures afterwards.

But for now, the main goal is how to bring your kids to the dentist. Bribery works all the times amongst kids.

flfsurveyor

We were fortunate. MY wife's father and sister were both dentists. The kids were scared, nonetheless, not of the dentists, but of the drills and the needles and stuff. I remember, I had to hold down my then 6-yrs old daughter as she keeps screaming and kicking. You just to try and sweet-talk them into it. And, yes, bribery works just fine.

Andersson

Our kids were always okay with it except for the first visit, that is always the worst. My son clung to my leg like the dentist was trying to remove his head with a machete. I am amazed that he grew up to be a dentist after that. :)

Victor

I have to take my daughter to the dentist for the first time this fall and I am nervous about it. It's a highly rated pediatric dentist, so I imagine it'll be ok, but she gets scared easily.

BigPapa

My daughter loves going to the dentist because she knows she gets stickers and a toy from the treasure chest when she is all done. I think the key to getting your child not to be scared is finding a great pediatric dentist.

NoRisk

My children don't seem to mind going to the dentist at all. Usually because they get stickers, lollies and sweets for a simple check up. I wish they still gave them me.

JRDeep

The last time My son went to the dentist, he tried to bribe me to drive him back home. I think he learned that from when I try to get out of things my wife wasn't me to do. I'm such a good...errr, bad influence. lol

ghanashyam

The first time, I had to take my child to a dentist for regular check up, he invented all stories of excuses but I stood firm and told him that he will not given any pocket money next time. That worked the best.

FrankSinatra

Mine are pretty cool with it. I think I trained them well because we will usually go do something fun after it, like the dog and the bell experiment.

Mr. Rogers

I waited until my kids were three before we took them to the Dentist. By then we had talked lots about it and they had gone with me to see their older siblings having cleanings.

Lorenzo

My kids are generally not afraid of the dentist. What my wife and I do before every visit is to psyche them up. We tell them the benefits of going to the dentist semi-annually or to have a bad tooth filled or extracted. So far, so good. It also helps that our family dentist gives out free ice cream and stickers.