The other leftovers

Salazar

Once again, my wife cooked way too much food for Thanksgiving. I don't mind the leftover turkey because she can freeze it or make turkey soup with it and freeze that, but we still have tons of casseroles, mashed potatoes, and vegetables left. She does this every year and then asks me what I think she should do with them and I don't have an answer. Any suggestions?

polamalu43

Eat them! I love having leftovers! I love it when there are a lot of side dishes left. You can freeze the meat and use the casseroles and other sides with other meats. Send some my way!

Endalia

Eat them or freeze them. In a week or so, they will taste good. We scaled down this year and didn't cook a lot. We had turkey breast and ham but both were very small. I was reading a recipe today called "Pink Clouds". You take cream cheese and cranberry sauce, and spread it on two slices of sourdough bread. Then you layer sliced turkey and lettuce on the bread and assemble it all. It sounds pretty good to me. I love cranberry sauce and cream cheese. I never thought to use both together.

Timothy

My wife didn't cook as much this year for that very reason. She and I both have about a 3 day limit on leftovers before we're ready for something else, so she bought one of the smallest turkey breasts she could find and only cooked 8" x 8" casseroles this year, instead of 13'' x 9" like she did last year.

Michael

Freeze them as meals. Use individual pie plates or dishes and fix them up like TV dinners. Then use them. They will taste good on a night when you don't have time to cook. Take them out the night before, put them in the refrigerator and set them on the counter when you get home from work. Reheat them with the top covered, or in the microwave, minus the aluminum, of course, and you've got a cheap, quick dinner.

Andersson

What wife doesn't? Really thought I just finished up the last bits of the mashed potatoes today and they were great, I love those red skins! We still have some pie and some eggs left too, thought are on tonight's agenda.

Endalia

Hmmm. Leftover mashed potatoes make wonderful potato cakes. It is so good and you use a bunch of potatoes that way. That was always my favorite thing when I was a kid. My mother used to make the best potato cakes.

Salazar

I was reading a recipe today called "Pink Clouds". You take cream cheese and cranberry sauce, and spread it on two slices of sourdough bread. Then you layer sliced turkey and lettuce on the bread and assemble it all.
That sounds like a sandwich I would love! I'm going to call the wife right now and tell her I want that for dinner tonight! :)

So, we can freeze stuff like sweet potato casserole and green bean casserole? I knew the turkey could go in the freezer, but I thought once we were sick of the sides they had to get thrown out. I'll tell her to make up some frozen dinner type of containers and we'll give it a try. Thanks!

Victor

We just eat ours, but freezing them is a good idea if you need a break before having the sides again.

In fact, we’re having ours tonight with some leftover meatloaf. Yum!

BigPapa

I can't see why you could not freeze them. I mean you can buy them frozen at the store so why not? I also agree that you can mix and match them with other meals to get rid of them.

Don

We usually have leftovers about two times and then I have what little is left for lunch. We did end up with leftover turkey this year, but it is now in the freezer, so we will probably have a meal with it in a week or so.