Too old to find a new job?

McGregor

At what age do you think someone is too old to find another job, and needs to stick with the job he is currently working? Is there such thing as "too old to find a new job" anyway?

Cruise

I am not sure about that. I think it depends on the position. There may be age limits for starting positions, but for higher positions, age doesn't seem to matter that much.

Kyle31

No I don't think you're ever too old. You can always learn a new trade or switch career paths. I think the hardest part would be financially secure enough to take the risk of switching everything.

Cruise

I don't thing there is such thing as 'too old to get a new job'. It's not a good example but I think John McCain was over 70 when he announced his candidacy.

Davidson

It's not so much that you are too old, just some companies won't higher older people because young people are more efficient in some cases and will accept a lower salary.

Blended

I'm sure that many people feel old but are not really old. It's hard to say. But take for example my father. He is so stubborn and I can't really see him changing his job now. Sometime you just can't learn an old dog new tricks.

McGregor

It's not so much that you are too old, just some companies won't higher older people because young people are more efficient in some cases and will accept a lower salary.
It's a good point, and makes a lot of sense. I personally think different companies have different policies in this regard. But for freelance jobs, I don't think age matters.

Dave07

There is no age that is too old for a new job BUT in this economy with this many jobless the wiser move would be to stay where you are until you find something else.

McGregor

Dave that's good advice, thanks. My current job is not a dream job but I think I would just stick with it. I wouldn't move to another job unless I had to (because of my boss firing me or the like).

Johnson

I don't think you are ever too old to make a change but Dave07 has a very good point. I read somewhere recently that there are 54 or 64 applicants for each ONE opening.