Too young to smoke?

Keepworking

No, it is not my kid but my brother's. She is only 14 and she was just caught smoking. I am amazed as to how easy teenagers get cigarettes (and alcohol) today.

Ronald

Smoking isn't a healthy habit for adults to indulge in, but it's even worse for a child that isn't through growing yet! So yes, I'd say 14 is too young for someone to start smoking. However, if the parents smoke and the teen is simply emulating what they've grown up watching their parents do all their lives, then there's not much that can be said without being overly hypocritical.

Salazar

Kids do seem to be starting bad behavior at a younger age these days. I don't think I started experimenting with bad habits like that until I was later into my teens.

Victor

Kids do seem to be starting bad behavior at a younger age these days. I don't think I started experimenting with bad habits like that until I was later into my teens.
I did. I remember staying up with a friend all night and chain-smoking cigarettes when I was 14 years old. We got so sick; I wouldn't recommend it.

Babar

That does not sound like a good road she is going down. Kids who are actively smoking, drinking, doing drugs, etc. from a young age are not just "experimenting", they are creating problems for their entire future.

Lorenzo

It's sad but true, teenagers today have access to almost anything - both good and bad. It's probably the times, but I think it's society's values, too. This is just me, but I believe if we inculcate in our kids early on the disadvantages of smoking and alcohol (among other dangerous substances), they would not start the habit. It's good if we, as parents, act as role models, too. Kids learn better when they see mom and dad practice what they teach.

wilson

Smoking is not healthy for anyone no matter the age. I ended up quitting after smoking for almost 20 years, its a very nasty habit to get into and its more controlling that people seem to believe.